Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #1931 
Neil D

You could put some low light plants like java moss in there.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #1932 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
is it worth it putting live plants in a 2.5gal tank? im new to fish so should i leave live plants for later on?
IMO - ABSOLUTELY YES!!!! Maybe not rooted plants, but things like java fern, moss and anubius. I have those even in my 2 gal. drum bowls.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #1933 
nel3

which are those clover-like patties with short brown roots that float on to of the water? have those at the LPS, i like how they float on top of the water. they dont seem to grow tall but i dont know about spreading as they grow. i do prefer plants that would float rather than root to the substrate to make tank cleaning easier. i guess they add tannins to the water also.

Last edited by nel3; 07-13-2011 at 07:32 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1934 
CitrusKnight

I need a little help. I just bought a Submersible Heater of Tetra to go with my 5 gallon tank and it says there's suppose to be a red light that shows me when it's on, but I can never seem to see it even though I've been glancing at it since I put it in for a while now. And the water still seems rather cold. Is it broken and should I return it? Or am I doing something wrong?
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #1935 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
which are those clover-like patties with short brown roots that float on to of the water? have those at the LPS, i like how they float on top of the water. they dont seem to grow tall but i dont know about spreading as they grow. i do prefer plants that would float rather than root to the substrate to make tank cleaning easier. i guess they add tannins to the water also.
Sounds like duck weed.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #1936 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusKnight View Post
I need a little help. I just bought a Submersible Heater of Tetra to go with my 5 gallon tank and it says there's suppose to be a red light that shows me when it's on, but I can never seem to see it even though I've been glancing at it since I put it in for a while now. And the water still seems rather cold. Is it broken and should I return it? Or am I doing something wrong?
if you've checked with a thermometer, then it is broken. Tetra heaters aren't very reliable. Go with Aqueon.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #1937 
CitrusKnight

Yeah, my only problem is I don't have a thermometer. But I just got my paycheck, so I'm hoping to go out and buy one soon.
MORE TRIPS TO WALMART. WOOHOO.
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #1938 
Pataflafla

What's the dosing for green tea in a betta tank to be used in place of oak leaves? I have decaf green tea/white tea. It is unsweetened. I plan to use in a quarter gallon hospital tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #1939 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusKnight View Post
Yeah, my only problem is I don't have a thermometer. But I just got my paycheck, so I'm hoping to go out and buy one soon.
MORE TRIPS TO WALMART. WOOHOO.
Just return it. Those heaters are absolutley awful, they really are. Youre lucky if it keeps that tank above 72'F.

Get a thermometer when you return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
What's the dosing for green tea in a betta tank to be used in place of oak leaves? I have decaf green tea/white tea. It is unsweetened. I plan to use in a quarter gallon hospital tank.
Decaf green tea should be presoaked in tank water or warm/hot dechlorinated water for long enough to get the water dark. Allow it to cool if its hot (to steep) and add into the tank bit by bit until its a light brown color. It may darken more after a time, so wait 10 minutes before each shot of it to see its true color.

The green tea is mostly to darken the water, it doesnt carry as great of medicinal benefits as does IAL or oak leaves. Still treat with an appropriate treatment for whatever ails the fish, dont rely on the tea to heal it.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #1940 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Decaf green tea should be presoaked in tank water or warm/hot dechlorinated water for long enough to get the water dark. Allow it to cool if its hot (to steep) and add into the tank bit by bit until its a light brown color. It may darken more after a time, so wait 10 minutes before each shot of it to see its true color.

The green tea is mostly to darken the water, it doesnt carry as great of medicinal benefits as does IAL or oak leaves. Still treat with an appropriate treatment for whatever ails the fish, dont rely on the tea to heal it.
I wasn't planning using only that to heal my betta, but even the littlest bit helps and he's in need of it. He'll be getting some stress coat, aquarium or epsom salt, and possibly more parasite treatment with the next water change, but I wanted to try a day of just gentle treatment since he's been on rigorous treatments of salts and parasite medications for the last few days since his pet store condition was near death. So far it looks like parasites are gone, but he needs low stress and to gain weight.

Thank you very much. Wanted to know before I put anything in the tank with him.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote