Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #1 
Ashleigh

How I nearly lost Peewee....

Today I came home and went to check on my fish. When I came across Peewee's tank I thought, "Where's Peewee?" I searched the tank and saw his head stuck between the plastic water bottle half filter baffle and the filter, his body going up and down with the current. I honestly thought he was dead. I spent the next couple of minutes thinking about how he didn't get the long life he deserved, not bothering to turn the filter off because I thought he was gone. I thought, "May as well take him out now," and turned the filter off. I looked closer and thought that I saw a slight breathing coming from him, so I lifted up the baffle and he swam right out. I was so relieved he was alive and swimming.

He seemed a bit distressed at first but he's acting fine now. The only physical appearance differance is an orange streak on his bottom fin (forgot what this one's called, anal maybe?) What's worrying me is I have no idea how long he was in there for. Just now I looked over to Peewee's tank to check up on him and he was swimming down between the baffle and the filter (turned off) once again (there's a gap because the outflow bit sticks out). I think maybe he has a strong desire to explore the most tight, unreachable places in the tank .

The filter's out of the tank now and I'm wondering if it should stay that way. Is it okay to have a 5 gallon unfiltered tank with regular water changes?
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #2 
YoshesMom

Yes it is but you'll need to be really strict with yourself on water changes
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Why not baffle with a sponge? That is what a lot of people do on this forum, and I am currently doing on a new tank setup. With a sponge I do not see any way he could possibly hurt himself, and then you don't have to do crazy amounts of water changes. The sponge is also great because, at least in my set up, the surface of the water is actually still. It looks like nothing is even on. Very peaceful. :)

In any event, I am very glad he is safe! Good luck with figuring out what you will do next. The discoloration sounds like it could be bruising (if bettas get that...), or maybe his color changed because of stress. If it was because of stress it might be permanent. I think people have Marbles that will arrive after shipping looking like a whole different fish!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 
Shimizoki

I'm really glad to hear that peewee is alright, it could have been worse.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 
Jrf456

Bettas don't need filters if you do frequent water changes but a heater is needed unless you live in a very hot state like Florida, and even that only in the summer time. Do 10% water changes daily and a 100% weekly. This helps them out very well. Also, have a heater unless its the summer time in Florida and even then have thermoters so you can check the tempurature.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #6 
Ashleigh

I think I might try the sponge baffle. The streak of orange that was on his fins seems to be slightly paler today, going back into his natural colouring. Thanks for hoping he's safe everyone, he's doing well now. :)
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote