Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #21 
Sakura8

You can sterilize a tank using super hot water and vinegar and then letting it sun dry.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #22 
DarkMoon17

Perfect, that will make life so much easier. You would only need to sterilize the tank once as a precaution. If you aren't comfortable with bleach you can use hot water and vinegar as Sakura suggested. Mouth Rot is really aggressive so sterilizing the tank would be an important part of treatment but I really don't think he has it... you would have noticed some sort of change by now. With sick fish I usually rinse their jar under hot water during the daily water change too.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #23 
SageMyster

Well, I'm very relieved! Thank you both for your patience and assistance!

Quick question: When rinsing the tank with hot water, do you remove all of the marbles and decor, or keep them in there? Will doing so disturb the natural bacteria at the bottom of the tank?

I'm beginning to think Harley isn't as sick as I initially presumed, so I don't think I will be sterilizing anything... maybe wiping down the tank with hot water just in case, but that's it. I'll track his progress.

In your opinion, what do you think his wart-like lesions are, and the weird white stuff under his gills? Just rough care from petstore breeders/handlers? Just normal for inbred Bettas?

(I guess this is becoming a not-so-quick-question but...) He's also flaring a bit (at nothing in particular) in a nonreflective tank, and he flared at me once or twice. He doesn't follow my finger. He's incredibly lively but... I'd like to bond with him. Is something wrong?

Again, thank you! Sorry for being such a pain in the ass!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #24 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tiki: Petco just sucks... in every way. They don't treat any of their animals right, and they think fish can just be self-maintainedm which is all wrong! Luckily Harlot's fins are not black at the edges and his ammonia levels are safe, but I will definitely look into this stress coat you mentioned. It's a shame to see such a pretty boy so mishandled.
Yeah, I know and I find it distrubing especially since my petco has a "fish Guy". He hates me :P

I'm wondering if that stuff under the gills is normal coloring?

A red VT i got from petco had something similar but its kinda shiny, almost metallic looking...

I would post a pic if photobucket wasnt being dumb.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #25 
DarkMoon17

Tanks under 5-10gallons cannot cycle and build up beneficial bacteria so don't worry about that. For long term health you'll need to do a 100% water change every other day minimum. Preferably, perform a 100% every other day and do a 50% change on the days in between. Rinse the gravel and plants well to remove poop & bad bacteria.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "warts" or color under his gills. IMO it is all normal coloration. The color patterns you are seeing are very common in red bettas. Here are some pics of red bettas:

You've only had him for a very short period of time. Give him time to settle in and he'll warm up to you :)

Good luck, I'm glad he's ok!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #26 
SageMyster

Well, I am a lot less worried now. Thanks to ALL of you for being so incredibly helpful! Now my focus is on fin-regeneration. I will keep you updated. :)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote