Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 
TinaMaxis

What can I put in my ten gallon tank with my female Betta?

I'm new to having a fish, I only got my female Betta(Mystique) a little over a week ago. I have some plastic plants in her tank but want to get those lucky bamboo plants for her tank. :)

I want her to have some tank mates, but I don't want more than one of any species.. What can I have? I'd like maybe two or three more fish, but like I said, all different because I want to be able to easily identify them and give them names. Is that going to be possible? How many fish can I even have in a ten gallon tank?

And what kind of algae eaters can I have, if any, and can I have just one?
I don't really want snails or frogs or anything but fish because they kind of creep me out.

Thanks!
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

Hi TinaMaxis,
Welcome to the forum. I am not the expert on compatibility, but I believe I can give you a few insights as you move ahead in your quest. In regards to betta's, first be aware that they are a territorial fish and actually prefer to be alone. Even the females. However, they are capable of living with tank mates, especially in a 10 gal. Just understand that they need to be the right type of tank mates. I believe Cory Cats are a favorite on this forum as they're bottom dwellers and don't pose a threat. Also, make sure your betta has plenty of hiding spaces ie. plants, betta log, etc. When bettas stress, they need to hide. You stated that you don't want more than one of any type of species? I know that a lot of fish that are compatible with bettas tend to be passive schooling fish. You don't want to get a "lone" schooling fish because they will always try to school with the betta. This is not good as the betta will get quickly irritated and the "lone" fish probably won't fare too well. (I learned that bad lesson from experience.) Also, before adding any new tank mates, it's always a good idea to remove your betta and rearrange the tank decorations. It's not always required, and most folks tend to rearrange only when necessary, but personally I think it's a good practice. Currently your female is now used to her surroundings and is the Queen of her tank. If you add any new fish, her instinct to protect her property will be hightened. So first remove her, rearrange, add your new fish, then add her last. At the very least, this will insure a better success rate with new tank mates. Hope this helps!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 
TinaMaxis

Thanks! It helps. Would three Cory Cats school? Or would I need more? I think I'd be ok with three of them, but it'd be better if I could get three different kinds of Cory Cats, like maybe one Albino and two other kinds, do you know if that's possible, would they still school if I did it like that?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #4 
bettafish15

Three cories would school, but I think its better to have the same kind.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #5 
TinaMaxis

Ok, thanks. I'll try to get the same kind but ones that have something different about them so that I can tell them apart. Also, I still want something that can clean my tank somewhat(like an algae eater or whatever is capable of doing such a thing), but like I said, snails and frogs and things with legs creep me out. And I don't have a tank cover because my filter sits over the tank, so I don't want snails or frogs because I'm worried they'll escape the tank! (I'm also worried Mystique will jump out, but I don't know how to cover the tank) Any ideas for some type of algae eater fish I can get with one betta and three cory cats?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 
flowerslegacy

Cory's are awesome little guys and getting three of them would be great. Just like BettaFish15 stated, it's usually best to get the same breed of fish. However, in my community tank (without a betta) I made a mistake and got only one Dwarf Rainbow - they're a major schooler. So I ended up with some Rasporas and he just schools with them! It's always good to research though, but you may be able to get different breeds of Cory's and they'll still school. Not sure about breeds of algea eaters, but my thought is that they'd be okay. Algea Eaters don't need partners either. However, Cory's are algea eaters too and they'll keep the bottom of your tank nice and clean. Are you having algea issues? If so, you'll want to do some other research into what is causing it. Algea feeds on nitrites and nitrites are highly poisonous to your fish. If your nitrites are okay, then it could be too much sunlight or perhaps a different type of water parameter issue ie. Ph. In regards to your jumping betta, if you have a 10 gal, you should be able to buy a nice hood at any of your local pet stores. They're specifically made to accommodate your filter as well. They can be pricey, but that would be your best option. Especially for lighting purposes. It's not good for any fish to not receive the proper amount of lighting throughout the day.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
Kytkattin

Different corys tend to not school, at least from personal experience. They really are so much happier with their own kind. The only 2 of different species that I had that actually schooled together were an albino and a panda. That being said, I don't know if they were actually the same species, just different colors. Some are, some aren't.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote