Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

So would a filter do, or can a powerhead be used (after the few months).

Reason I ask is we plan on doing this with our 45g long. It's $100 for a proper HOB filter, or $30 for a powerhead/$30 for a lesser filter. Then I could put the lesser filter on my 29g. It's a difference of $40.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

You don't want too much water movement that can drive off the CO2 that is naturally created in the tank that the plants use for energy......too much/strong water movement can also displace the soil bed and you can have a cloudy tank......If I had to pick one type of filter for a NPT it would be a canister.....I have an HOB on my 75g because I don't want to spend any money on another filter and it came with the tank...thats the only reason I have it....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Unfortunately, things are expensive here with not many options. We're either HOB or Powerhead :( That's why I wanted to go NPT, to help save on costs. *sigh*

I'll figure it out, thanks OFL!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I would go with the cheapest you can get and once the NPT matures...remove the filter and use on a different tank....if the NPT is setup correctly and stocked properly so that it is self contained....the plants will work as the filtration........anything can work for water movement......
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #15 
Bettawolf19

Could you use a bubble stone for water movement? Or do you need to get a filter? I'm just curious though I do want to get a filter for my 20 gal though so i gues it would just be easier to get one and put it in there then move it to the 20 gallon after.

Alrighty I'll start with 1 amazon sword in that tank instead of all three of them. I got the 10" melon sword intentionally at first for my 20 gal tall because of the flat rate shipping of $7.50. I also didn't think the swords would take off very fast and they would be slow growing so I would be able to move one of them to my other tanks. Mostly because I don't own fast growing plants other then my aracharis. I can see that I'm wrong with that and thus I apologize for the problems and confusion that has caused.
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Plant growth can be much faster in soil based tanks....all those nutrients in the soil-plus the added decomp from decaying plant material- creates compost of sorts and even more food along with the CO2 that decomp creates in soil based tanks...plant growth can be different as compared to plain gravel, sand and even plant specific substrates IME and I have done them all....laffs.....

I wouldn't use an airstone but only because it can drive off CO2...sponge filter would be better and canister even better since you can move the outflow arm so that it stays under water....... this can give a nice effect too....plants swaying......

Since you are in the US....look at Dr Foster and Smith....I just got the new catalog today and WOW.....big Sale going on right now and with free S/H for orders over $49.00...I have been wanting to try one of the LED lights and they are on sale...so I just might have to get one and setup a new experiment......a good canister filter for planted tanks is the Rapids mini for $25.59......I got 2 of them a while back when on-sale for $19.00 and very happy with them and the API master test kit is on-sale for $19.19 too and really good to have on hand...lots of stuff...wish I had more money to spend...lol.....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #17 
Bettawolf19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Plant growth can be much faster in soil based tanks....all those nutrients in the soil-plus the added decomp from decaying plant material- creates compost of sorts and even more food along with the CO2 that decomp creates in soil based tanks...plant growth can be different as compared to plain gravel, sand and even plant specific substrates IME and I have done them all....laffs.....

I wouldn't use an airstone but only because it can drive off CO2...sponge filter would be better and canister even better since you can move the outflow arm so that it stays under water....... this can give a nice effect too....plants swaying......

Since you are in the US....look at Dr Foster and Smith....I just got the new catalog today and WOW.....big Sale going on right now and with free S/H for orders over $49.00...I have been wanting to try one of the LED lights and they are on sale...so I just might have to get one and setup a new experiment......a good canister filter for planted tanks is the Rapids mini for $25.59......I got 2 of them a while back when on-sale for $19.00 and very happy with them and the API master test kit is on-sale for $19.19 too and really good to have on hand...lots of stuff...wish I had more money to spend...lol.....
I knwo theres a filter that some use on here that allows you to adjust your power on your filter but I'll find something lol that Rapid's Mini filter looks scary in the picture XD I already have the API Master kit(got it for my birthday last year lol for 32 something). If anything I go for a sponge filter because I was originally gonna get one though I have to order it online because noone carries them anywhere near me. -sighs- the things I do for my fish lol. I easily have over $500 bucks invested in my fish. and I've only owned Bettas for a little under 2 years XD
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
npt