Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #11 
LaurenL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Have you tested the water to see what the parameters are? If the levels are a little high, you might want to do a partial water change. Even though your tank is cycled, I'm just a bit concerned that adding in 9 bettas all at once may have overloaded the biofilter and caused an ammonia spike. If so, that could be what killed your mustard gas. I have a suspicion your littlest one simply got beaten/hounded to death.

If your alpha female is still beating everyone, then you can remove her for a timeout, perhaps overnight. Sometimes it takes as many as 3 or more timeouts before they settle in. When I started my sorority, three of my girls got into a serious cage fight and I almost quit several times. But each time I tried again and I always put the newest/lowest girl in first and the alpha female in last. That way everyone kind of started out equal.
I will get a new test kit asap. I woke up this morning and the big red one (the one that had a film on its fins) was DEAD - what's going on?!
LaurenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #12 
Shimizoki

Sorry to hear that Lauren
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #13 
LaurenL

I'm quite scared of this because if I lose too many I think the sorority will fall apart due to too few. What should I be doing?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #14 
Sakura8

QT them as soon as you can. They should be separate in case one has something contagious. And I'm so sorry you lost another one. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #15 
LaurenL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
QT them as soon as you can. They should be separate in case one has something contagious. And I'm so sorry you lost another one. :(
UGH...here's my update. I have NO IDEA what they have so I have been using betta revive. There are no symptoms what-so-ever and then they just DROP OFF :(. Here are my losses:

First mustard gas girl
Big red
Little blue

Recently these ones have died:
Green
Red+purple
Red+white

They just do well and then just die, randomly. I'm so scared and I just know I am going to lose my remaining girls...:(
Old 07-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #16 
Sakura8

PM Oldfishlady because this is very weird. Did you QT them?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote