Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Fungus on Tropical Fish, what to use?

Just wondering, which do I use? My tropicals have fungus, noticed tonight. 2 are saveable but 1 is on her way out :(

Do I buy Maracyn/Maracyn2 or Pimafix/Melafix? And which do I use from the combo? Thanks!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

The Maracyn combo is definitely better. Pimafix/Melafix aren't worth much at all... Use both Maracyn and Maracyn II. They are most effective when used together. Another option would be API Fungus Cure. Good luck, I hope they pull through.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I was hoping you'd see this. I am really looking for whatever works, is known to work. I don't have a car so everytime I have a fish emergency, I'm asking for rides to the pet store! haha One trip would be nice. So if you were to choose between the two, which works best and which is easier on the fish.

I JUST cured Ich... now this. Urgh.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Get the maracyn combo. I wouldnt only get one when you can get both. They run about..errmm.. $7 each? Its well worth it.

Generally speaking, I keep Maracyn II around because it treats rot, which flares up hard in my very very long finned bettas and wont go away.

Melafix is ok to use only really as an extra boost once an infection/rot has been treated, I use it at a low dose after fin rot with good results. It has no antibiotic properties, just antiseptic.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Yep, the Maracyn combo is ideal. It's good to have around anyway since it can be used for a wide variety of things including dropsy.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I am so moving to the USA then, Maracyn is $11 plus tax EACH here. I got both types. It may be great to have around but I'll be using almost the full box in one treatment in my tank. Holy moly!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

I really wish it was easier to buy large amounts of these medicines, it would make life so much easier (and cheaper) it doesn't help that everything is a bit more expensive in Canada... Good luck and keep us posted, I hope your fish recover quickly :)