Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

But are you guys willing to cull your VT's when you can't find homes, ship them off to pet stores for $0 or house 100+ bettas? lol

When I breed, I want to be something I love yes, but something others will love as well. No point in having a house full of fish I can't take care of just because I wanted to breed pet store VT's. I dunno!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #12 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
But are you guys willing to cull your VT's when you can't find homes, ship them off to pet stores for $0 or house 100+ bettas? lol

When I breed, I want to be something I love yes, but something others will love as well. No point in having a house full of fish I can't take care of just because I wanted to breed pet store VT's. I dunno!
Oh I definitely understand your meaning.

Thankfully I have half a dozen+ people offering to take/buy them off me when they're old enough. Just because I have a lot of friends who love betta's >.< So I'd be good there. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you know you can rehome the fry, I don't see why you shouldn't spawn VT - specially to gain that "first experience". So when you get more expensive breeders, you'd have a better idea of when/if you should call it off and avoid them from getting hurt. Just make sure they have homes to go to.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #14 
HD4life

To be honest if your breeding VT's for experience things will happen along the way that you more than likely won't end up with 100 adults. My first spawn was 260 eggs, now at 6 weeks I have 20, some I may need to cull as I see fin development. As your experience grows so will your survival rate. Anyway, its good to gain that experience but be prepared to find homes and have room to separate males, and don't count on a ton of fry until you really have a system down. I'm now on my 6th spawn and my system still needs a little work lol.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #15 
cajunamy
Banned

i am totally thinking of finding a good pair of VT to breed. I'd love to see VTs in the beautiful colors their fancier counterparts come in - dragons, mustard gases, butterflies, the list goes on... (as opposed to the constant multi varierty or blue or red)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #16 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
i am totally thinking of finding a good pair of VT to breed. I'd love to see VTs in the beautiful colors their fancier counterparts come in - dragons, mustard gases, butterflies, the list goes on... (as opposed to the constant multi varierty or blue or red)
I very much like that idea :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4life View Post
To be honest if your breeding VT's for experience things will happen along the way that you more than likely won't end up with 100 adults. My first spawn was 260 eggs, now at 6 weeks I have 20, some I may need to cull as I see fin development. As your experience grows so will your survival rate. Anyway, its good to gain that experience but be prepared to find homes and have room to separate males, and don't count on a ton of fry until you really have a system down. I'm now on my 6th spawn and my system still needs a little work lol.
The guy I wanted to get my betta from (decided not to) raised his first spawn these last few months. He too want to breed for the fun or experience thinking he wouldn't have many babies. He has 80 live Bettas, all opaque white, needing homes now. Although they are opaque whites, who wants a tank full of all white bettas?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #18 
HD4life

I think the opaque betta's are lovely, I would love to have a few females in my sorority just for the color variety :) Im sure they're are some who have a good turn out the first time they try, hence being prepared for it, but not counting on it. I'm some ways raising betta's is so delicate and in other ways you really have to know when to leave them be. Lol I'm still learning the "hands off" part.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote