Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #131 
thePWNISHER

Is it possible to start with 1 female in a large tank of say 30 or 40g, then add females 2 at time until you get 20 or so in a tank large enough for that many? I was wondering how touchy they are in a much larger much more well planted community? Or what if there were say other community fish in the tank then you add a handful of females? would you still have the same agression if there are other fish to distract them? I am just curious about sororities in larger conditions not the 10-20g setups that seem most common to have the problems with 6-7 girls.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #132 
Arowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
Was the other sick or hiding at all Arowan?
No, she had mostly avoided the scuffles, too. I had initially pegged her to be my alpha, as she was the most aggressive in her cups, so I put her in last...

The other crowntail is the one I have constantly hiding, now. Haven't been able to get her to come out to eat, either, but I'm hoping as she gets hungry she'll pop out. Looked her over carefully, and nothing seems wrong with her. Maybe she's just shy?

The other 5 veil tails are doing great though, and really love feeding time. I've noticed that the more "feedings times" they've had since I started, the more friendly they've gotten with each other...
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #133 
Neil D

Maybe she didn't get access to enough food or maybe it was just stress. Did she have stress stripes?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #134 
Arowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Maybe she didn't get access to enough food or maybe it was just stress. Did she have stress stripes?
No stress stripes. Finally noticed some stringy white poop, so I'm suspecting internal parasites now. Soaking her food in garlic water, now to just get her to eat.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #135 
Ruri Lesavka

2 of my females are wiggling, circling, and nudging each other, is that normal?
Ruri Lesavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #136 
Neil D

Are one of them male? If not maybe they're just setting up a pecking order...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #137 
Ruri Lesavka

No, both are female, a halfmoon and crowntail. It's probably the pecking order then. xD
Ruri Lesavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #138 
thePWNISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePWNISHER View Post
Is it possible to start with 1 female in a large tank of say 30 or 40g, then add females 2 at time until you get 20 or so in a tank large enough for that many? I was wondering how touchy they are in a much larger much more well planted community? Or what if there were say other community fish in the tank then you add a handful of females? would you still have the same agression if there are other fish to distract them? I am just curious about sororities in larger conditions not the 10-20g setups that seem most common to have the problems with 6-7 girls.
I guess what I am asking is if anyone has had success at adding girls in small numbers like 1 or 2 at a time to a larger sorority. Or are sororities always a add total number all at once(well evenly spaced out) and separate the bullies after watching them for a bit?
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #139 
Arowan

Another question, as I might have found a male with a fake ovipositor/egg-spot...

I ended up with two dead females of my original seven, one from causes unknown, and the other from what I'm now believing was a combination of internal parasites and dropsy. I had thought I had quarantined and caught her symptoms early enough, but in her last 12 hours she pine-coned... So, definitely dropsy.

Anyway, I wasn't comfortable with just 5 females in my tank, and felt that I needed at least 1-2 more, though the original 5 seem to be getting along pretty well. My local petco was taking forever to get in a new shipment, and the few other ones I checked in the area had females in horrendous conditions.

But, finally, yesterday my petco got a new shipment of bettas.

They had, what has to be, "Queen" bettas. They weren't male, but they were ginormous compared to the other halfmoon, crowntail, and doubletail males in the store. Their bodies were easily 3-4 inches long, dwarfing their cups. Having seen Kings before, though, these had smaller fins of proportion with normal females.

Much as I'd love to do a sorority with these "queens," there was too much of a size difference with my current females. The petco also had some "normal" female bettas in comparison with the rest of the queens, and I picked out a couple healthy ones that I felt were of similar size to mine, and pretty.

Brought them home, and I noticed that one definitely had a larger tail-fin, and somewhat larger ventrals, and is slightly bigger than my alpha. However, I just thought "well, she's just a very impressive female specimen, and will probably end up alpha."

I floated both new girls in the sorority tank in separate, clear containers, and was planning to add them in a few days when I do my next big clean. But today, I came home from class to discover that the "somewhat larger girl" had made a bubble-ring around the inside of "her" cup.
I suspect I might have picked up a juvenile male... and from his size, if that's the case, he might turn out to be a king xD
*edit* He/she also flares a lot, and is somewhat overly-aggressive. The girls don't seem to mind him/her, and like to float and swim all around his container.

So, are bubble rings typical for female bettas, and am I over-analyzing this fish? Or should I bring her/him back to the petco and swap for a more definitely-female fish.

Long post, sorry... had to brag about those giant female bettas, but couldn't get pictures.

Last edited by Arowan; 07-26-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #140 
Frankilicious

i have a question. can you add one male to that tank or will the females gang up on him?
Frankilicious is offline   Reply With Quote