Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 
mjoy79

Question Does Chandler have fish rot?

When I look at his fins, at first I thought maybe he had rubbed against a plastic plant that I had in his tank (took it out). Now I wonder if maybe this is worse than that and should treat him. He seems fine - happy and active - but just want to be sure. I got the best pictures I could find that showed his fins real good. Please let me know if you think its more than just a frayed fin.
Attached Images

mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information....can you copy and paste the sticky at the top of this section and fill this out with the needed information on the tank and Betta......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 
mjoy79

Sorry! here you go :)

Housing
What size is your tank? Now: 2.5 gal, before: 1 gal (up until Saturday)
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no, not yet
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, not yet
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? mostly betta flake food (I switched him to this since he seemed to like it better than pellets, months ago)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day (morning/night)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Up until recently, about 1x week in 1 gallon tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% (before upgrading to 2.5)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
water conditioner (just recently began adding aquarium salt)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins seem frayed on the ends (mostly top fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not sure it has
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, except for the aquarium salt for his overall health
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I had a close call with him after a water change a couple of months ago. I thought I was going to lose him. (I think i shocked him with water temp change - put him back in too fast, etc). but he pulled through and I've been learning more about betta fish care
How old is your fish (approximately)? approximately 10-11 months. (purchased him from Petsmart in December)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 
betta dude

looks fine
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5gal unfiltered tank-make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality.....

Long term salt is not needed and it doesn't prevent issues...it can however, create resistant and kidney damage when used long term, wrong dosage, duration and wrong reason......

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) is a great product to use short term for treatment in the correct dosage and duration...by using it long term it may not work well for treatments.....

Right now you want to prevent a secondary infection due to the open wound....I would start by making 50% water only changes for 3 days then get on a regular schedule of twice weekly 50% and 100%.....monitor fins and if you notice any changes or change in behavior I would QT and start a 10 salt treatment.....
In an already healthy Betta-kept in quality water along with proper nutrition-you should start to see new growth and healing in less than a week...complete recovery can take longer and depending on how bad the damage the fin may never return to their full glory......

Nutrition is really important for overall health and fin regrowth.....good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best.....

Lovely fella...nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #6 
mjoy79

Thank you for your help. I will follow your advice and see if his fins improve!