Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #11 
Kytkattin

Don't do a 100% change on a filtered tank, or if you do, make sure you turn the filter off and don't turn it back on until you have dechlorinated water or else you will kill off all of your good bacteria!

If you get some frozen brine shrimp he might eat sooner, but he is probably still getting used to having so much space!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #12 
SnowySurface

I'm using the same filter for my 1 gallon tanks. My water change schedule is 50% water change twice a week and 100% one a week. So, I'll do 100% Sunday, 50% Tuesday, 50%Thursday and repeat. That rhytme works for me unless something goes wrong (like Luigi curling his top fin and glaring when the water isn't *@#!en perfect <.<). I think 2.5 gallons have the same water change schedule as my one gallons. If not, then it is one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week.

Sometimes I do wonder if anyone else's fish does what Luigi does when there is a sudden ammonia spike out of nowhere. If it's a personality quirk, then it's really convienent. Luigi's moodiness is a better ammonia detector than any liquid test on the market. :D

Welcome and good luck with your new fish. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #13 
CrazyCatLady

I'm assuming it's because you were taking pictures of the setup, but I have to ask anyway...you have a lid for the tank, right?

Bettas LOVE to jump!

A friend of mine had hers sitting on her bathroom sink during a water change and Mr Buble decided to leap into the sink....and was never seen again. :(
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #14 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LameAssCatLady View Post
I'm assuming it's because you were taking pictures of the setup, but I have to ask anyway...you have a lid for the tank, right?

Bettas LOVE to jump!

A friend of mine had hers sitting on her bathroom sink during a water change and Mr Buble decided to leap into the sink....and was never seen again. :(
I was wondering the same thing. But that brings me to a question. I have the same tank and I'm going to have a filter on it too - how do you put a lid on something like that? Right now I'm using what came with the tank (a glass "canopy") but it doesn't have air holes so I use it slightly out of alignment so it gives enough to get air but not enough room for jumpers!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #15 
MJK87

I cant find a lid to that tank any where. Petco had nothing that would match the tank. The tank was given to me by a friend but it came with no lid. Im guessing now that I will have to try to make a lid for it. In the mean time ive been using plastic wrap with a few holes poked in it.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #16 
mjoy79

Thats a good idea. I just read about cross-stitch/embrordary canvas could be good material. I'm needing to replace the lids that came with my tanks and think it might be a good idea.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #17 
Kytkattin

You could get a glass top, which is a must if you buy an open light. This here might be the right size, but I'm not sure. http://www.petsr4u.com/allglass_glas..._25_gallon.asp
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #18 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
You could get a glass top, which is a must if you buy an open light. This here might be the right size, but I'm not sure. http://www.petsr4u.com/allglass_glas..._25_gallon.asp
Thank you :) I'll check it out. I was thinking about the canvas idea and wasn't sure how that was going to work out
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #19 
CrazyCatLady

You can get one of these and take a saw and cut out where the heater and filter are.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQ8wIwAg
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote