Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #1 
MBaird

Biocube 14 filter questions please help!

I purchased a biocube 14 gallon. I made all the preparations and added 1 beta. The filter just seems way too strong as well as the current. Does anyone have a biocube 14 that can give me some suggestions? You can not change the filter intake (no way to do so.) My beta keeps getting pulled to the filter and just lays against it until it decides to swim away. It's quite frustrating and i don't wanna add any additional stress to my new friend. Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
MBaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #2 
MorganC2010

I am having the same problem. I have an aquatech filter and it seems to strong for my little tiberius. So untill I can get the problem fixed I only turn the filter on for about an hour. Tiberius really seems to enjoy playing in the strong current but when he hides behind his house I know it's time to turn it off.

I have heard that you can attach a sponge to where the water comes out and it slows the current down. I am hoping to hear from someone else on this issue. I found some where that says you can't just get any sponge it has to be an aquarium sponge. Like I said hopefully someone will help us out with this.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #3 
MBaird

Thanks for the reply. I bought a fish net and used the net to cover the filter so "Blue" stays away from it for the most part now. The net is also convient because it catches his beta bites before they get sucked away to the filter. I noticed he trys to eat one then spits it out usually 3 times (my guess is he is breakin the food down or softening it before swallowing.) That way the food is not wasted and it gives him time to eat it. He seems pretty happy, this weekend i will add more fish to the aquarium.
MBaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
BasilBetta87

Why not just purchase a less powerful pump for the biocube? The stock pump is rated at 137 gph so anything lower than that should still be fine for the tank. Or, if Blue likes some flow try out the Hydor Flow Deflector? All it does is rotate using pressure created by the pump and creates flow all through out the tank. If that doesn't work you could also try DIY a spray bar across the back of the display to spread out the flow. Hope you find something that will please your Blue.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, biocube, filter