Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #21 
flowerslegacy

Hello Bettaloverforever16 - I'm certainly not the guppy expert, but I know that they require a lot of oxygen. You'd need to supply a good filter and possibly a bubbler - although I've read some seasoned tropical fish owners state that bubblers are really more for looks - not actually adding much oxygen to the water. They provide more water stirring at the surface, which is really where the oxygen originates. Just as Sakura stated, they are also schooling fish, so they're most happy with at least 4 friends. Also, what I witnessed, is they poop like crazy! I'm not certain of their actual bioload, but I can only imagine you'd have to change their water every day in a 1.5 gal. Plus, they are FAST swimmers. Cupping them a lot for water changes would certainly be stressful on the fish, but on you as well! However, I'm only sharing what I experienced, as well as what I read during my research. I found some great guppy-specific websites, so I'm sure you could get some seasoned guppy answers from better folks than myself. Especially since you're only looking to keep one. My experience was short-termed, but I like to help in any way I can!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #22 
Sakura8

So would I need an airstone for guppies in 10g? Thinking about getting some but I'm not sure I want the noise of both a filter AND an air pump. My filter is an AquaClear 20, I think it's rated for up to 20g.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-20-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #23 
flowerslegacy

A 10-gal with a filter is just fine! An airstone certainly isn't mandatory. They don't require an excessive amount of oxygen, I just know they need more than an average betta set-up. In a 1.5 gal they would need either a filter, or a bubbler, or possibly both, depending on the set up. When I was removing my guppies for transport, the LFS was really concerned about their oxygen level, simply because they're a typical aquarium fish. They derive all of their oxygen from the water. They stated a bubbler would suffice for a short time frame. So my apologies on the confusion!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Cool. I wouldn't mind a bubbler if my tank was elsewhere other than my bedroom. I like the pretty bubbles, hehe. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some guppies for my 10g to go along with my panda cories. Thanks, flowerslegacy!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #25 
flowerslegacy

You're welcome! My bubbler is kind of loud so I know what you mean! Just for future reference: If you get a bubbler, pay the extra money for an adjustable one. The first one I got for my 25 gal wasn't adjustable and when I turned it on, I thought my tank was boiling over!! It was *really* loud and all of my fish immediately freaked out and hid. I immediately returned it and got an adjustable. Although it's not exceptionally quiet (I should've gotten a whisper style!), at least it's much more quiet and the bubbles aren't blowing my plastic plants over - ha!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Haha, poor fishies probably thought the end of the world was coming. Thanks a bunch for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #27 
Tisia

you can also get control valves for a couple bucks as well, or knot the hose, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #28 
thePWNISHER

I guess maybe I'll look into a separate guppy tank and just toss the extra fry in the sorority. Too bad because I love fancy tail guppy colors as much as I do Bettas and I wish I could have both somehow.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #29 
Sakura8

I'm not going to even mention airstones around my mom. I'm afraid she'd want me to get this bubbling tiki head she saw in my fish catalog. ^_^ She already thought I should get the glow-in-the-dark one. And she usually has good taste, too! Not that those aren't unique and cool but just soo not me.