Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #1971 
bahamut285

Query: I bought some "Flourish" plant food (liquid) from seachem for my water wisterias, is that okay? I don't know if it's some crazy hardcore plant food that will make my plants sentient or something XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #1972 
nel3

i fot 1 bunch of anacharis today, put most of it in the 2.5g and 1.5 stalks in the 1 gal. it works wonders to eat ammonia, removed .35ppm within a few hours. how often would i still need to change the water for the fish and the plants sake in the one gallon? do i stick with the 100 and 50 the other day or can i extend it to 2 full days between a 100wc?

shat options are there to make you own silk plants? more specifically i have the silk leaves and a possible substitute for a stem. the issue is a plant foot to bury it under the gravel. would lead eventually leach?

Last edited by nel3; 07-16-2011 at 10:25 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #1973 
JKfish

Bahamut, if you dose correctly, it ought to be fine, I've heard a lot of great things about it. if necessary you can adjust how much you add. I am considering getting it, let me know how it goes~ :D

Nel, the purpose of water changes is to keep the ppms of the ammonia and nitrites under .25 ppm at pretty much all times if possible, so if there is .25 or more, you'd still have to do the water changes. If not, continue monitoring the water quality until you can determine a new water change schedule. However, IMO, you should still do the water changes, they certainally can't hurt.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #1974 
nel3

thank you Jkfish. i dont think i'll extend the wc schedule much on account of uneaten food and biological waste from the fish.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #1975 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsirroar View Post
okay...cause it seems like my anubias is trying to avoid the ornament :p
do the roots pull themselves toward the fake driftwood and attach? mine seem to be growing outward and away
It'll send some out like that, yeah. Tame them with MOAR thread! lol! It will need time, but eventually, it will begin to stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshiimarro View Post
well.. i think bettas can distinguish whether its too hot for them or not to be next to a heater. i mean, they do know better... :)

but anyways, does anyone know a safe way to remove gravel with snails in it? by saying safe i mean as in safe for the snails in it. i have ramshorn snails in my gravel, and id hate to kill them just becuase i changed my gravel..
Pick each one out, thats really the only way. If you can wait, put a piece of blanched cucumber or something in there and wait for them to get on it and remove them with it, like bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
*incoming potential flame fuel*
TL;DR

Geez, guys, have your little war somewhere else... >_>

No one's wrong when everyone's right. Now just answer questions, gogogo~
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #1976 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Sorry about the definition link... I screwed up somewhere.
him/her and betta are both longer than it, that's why I chose not to use them.

*incoming potential flame fuel*
Until the fish is brought home and a bond is formed... to me its just a fish. I want to separate myself and not identify with it until I know it will survive. Using a term like "it" helps me to keep that distance. This is done to protect myself.

I've heard the Beiber joke so many times its rather old now... sorry.
I suppose. I wrote an article on my blog: http://careforbettas.wordpress.com/category/h-ethics/

Anyways... What's the best filter media?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1977 
JKfish

Well, it depends on what you want from it. If you want a cycled tank, then I honestly suggest getting sponge filter media. If you are going for an uncycled tank but want the added benifits of the filter, I'd just say get those carbon filter pads.

The pros of the carbon is that it helps maintain the water quality just a bit better until you have to do your water change, but the cons would be that you have to replace them every few weeks, and the costs add up.

the pros of the sponge media is that it does a good job both housing the benificial bacteria and you don't have to replace it. The cons are that once a month or so when you squeeze it out and swish it through the old tank water from a water change, there is a lot of gunk coming off of it, and it can be a bit messy.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #1978 
Neil D

My tank is cycled, I change the media every 6 mo. It has carbon, but I'm trying something new....I hope it works...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #1979 
PewPewPew

I'm cheap and dont replace my carbon filled cartridges.

You can buy carbon (that black stuff) in petstores in a large amount for less than what a cartridge would be by far, and keep using it.

Buy a filter media bag (usually a buck or two) and fill it, and then add to that void all filters seem to have somewhere and replace when needed.

My boyfriend used his last cartridge so long it was literally busting out at the bottom like a butt XD
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #1980 
bettaloverforever16

Can Betta's eat Cucumbers?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote