Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #11 
gbose

Fishmom,

I'm puzzled by your experience. Can't believe a minor change in temperature would do that.....

Question: What type of water conditioner did you use? you would want a good dechlorinator, but there are a variety of chemicals sold as 'conditioners'. What did you use? 1 TSP per gallon sounds a LOT to me....

You said you rinsed out the tanks. Did you by any chance use any kind of cleaner, like soap? coz it's toxic to fish...

Suggestion: Opinions are divided on this, but I personally never do 100% water change. You have to move the fish out of the tank, and that is stressful. I empty the tank until there's about an inch left -- enough to keep my fish alive -- and quickly add dechlorinated water.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

I have to agree. I've lost two fish after 100% changes, so I promised myself I wouldn't do them with Ben. I did one last night since there was a bit of ammonia in his tank and I needed to clean the stuff from under the rocks..... now Ben is acting weird :( Sorry about your fish, but you sound like a good Fish Mom, don't give up!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #13 
NCPanthersgurl

I do more 100% than partials and my Jazz and Alma seem to do fine with them. But I also think my "tap" water is fed from natural springs. {I had to "rush" putting Alma in right after I got her, I don't remember why...but she was perfectly fine} I need to learn to do partials; I'm so terrified I won't take out enough, and not using filters in the 2 gallon or the half filled 10 gallon I never know how to get the stuff off the bottom with partial changes...
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #14 
fishmom in doghouse

Thanks for the info and kindness

Thanks for all of the input and help. You all have been great. I will take the advice to heart and we will try again with new bettas!
fishmom in doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #15 
Lion Mom

I read in your 1st post that the tanks each have a "low flow filter". If the tanks are filtered, you shouldn't be doing 100% water changes - that will destroy your cycle. Two 50% partial water changes a week should be plenty. :)

How big are the tanks?

BTW, welcome to the forum and I am VERY sorry to hear what happened to the bettas!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and dang the luck......sorry for your loss....need some more information so we can help you figure out what happened so we can get you pointed in the right direction so you will be successful........that said...stuff happens.....

What size is the tank, how much and how often did you make the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite-type and amount of food fed...how long have you had the Bettas...two different tanks or a divided tank....source water...is it tap water, well water, home filtered water from like a Brita filter, bottled water....any and all type of additives used....tell us how you made the water change and if any thing other than water used...etc.....

Again welcome and sorry for the loss......Bettas are a great species of fish to keep and share with your children......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #17 
fishmom in doghouse

Hi to the last two posters! As I read more, I suspect 100% water changes are not the way to go. Here's what the tank set ups were - 1 gallon tanks with small gravel in bottom. Each tank had a little house the fish liked to hide and swim in and out but now I'm worried these are too sharp for the fins. We never saw any fin tears however. Each tank also had 1 soft plastic plant that was recommended for betas, but I may just get silk plants to be safe. We found tiny betta food pellets that they liked and ate well.

I think the two main problems were that I didn't wait long enough for the water treatment to work and made the water too cold. Our first water changes were about 25% and I must have let the treated water sit longer.

Well, I have found some great info here. Thanks for all the support!
fishmom in doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #18 
gbose

Fishmom,

Can I urge you to upgrade your tanks before getting more fish? 1G is really small, and hard to maintain; you'll have to change 50% of your water every day, even if you have a filter.

Can I suggest at least a 2.5G (with a filter and heater) for each? You will need to change 50-80% of the water every day or two until they cycle (unless you do a fishless cycle, which is a great idea), but then could just change once or twice a week.

Easier for you. And it's much safer for your fish.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

I have to agree, the larger the tank, the less work. At least that's how it works for me! haha But if 1g is what you wish to use, that's ok too!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #20 
cajunamy
Banned

Everything has to be exactly the same if you are going to do a 100% water change .. otherwise you will have to acclimate the fish over an hour or so like you would when bringing him home. You have to really understand your water chemistry to do full water changes - so I would bet that that is the problem.

I'm sorry for your loss :(
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote