Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #1 
Persica

Critter Keepers for permanent betta aquariums?

Well, I'm thinking of getting another betta, but I really can't afford a nice tank right now. I was wondering about everyone's experience with critter keepers. For instance, do you find that they crack under the pressure of all that water? Are you able to travel with them easily? (They'd be ideal for break commutes from college and home if you can travel with them without removing the water.) How do you tell how many gallons one of them is? Thanks in advance. :)
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 
Sivan

Critter keepers don't have a specific gallon measurement on them, but I know I paid for a small one at around $7 to quarantine a baby goldfish. It held significantly less water than my 2.5 gallon and I didn't trust it enough to be filled with water, only a third of the way, while holding the handle because it felt unstable. It ended up cracking very easily after I got home, which is after the goldfish died and it wasn't filled with anything aside food containers.

Honestly, if you have a better you're going to have to have at least 2-2.5 gallons anyway and the equivalent critter keeper is probably going to be more expensive or just around the price of a good tank, which makes it less of a bargain. I used a hexagon shaped 2.5g tank while in college and had a spare tank for my guy when I came home during breaks. He travelled in his PetSmart cup and seemed happy.

This 2.65 gallon tank is only $20 online, which is not bad for a tank. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753107 It also includes gravel, a filter, silk plant, and I believe a light.

From that same brand, in different colors and gallons, there are other tanks more affordable if that one won't do with your budget.

The pink 1.77 for $15: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3981820

There used to be a blue one for sale at $5 but I cannot find it anymore.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

What size do you plan on getting?
I got my 3 gallon critter keeper at petco for 11 dollars..My betta is quite happy in there..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

They have sizes up to 5 gallons I think.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 
newf

I have a three gallon I use as well.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

You could also check out Craigslist and thrift stores and yardsales in your area..sometimes you can pick up cheap tank setups and critter keepers and such. :)
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #7 
Persica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Critter keepers don't have a specific gallon measurement on them, but I know I paid for a small one at around $7 to quarantine a baby goldfish. It held significantly less water than my 2.5 gallon and I didn't trust it enough to be filled with water, only a third of the way, while holding the handle because it felt unstable. It ended up cracking very easily after I got home, which is after the goldfish died and it wasn't filled with anything aside food containers.

Honestly, if you have a better you're going to have to have at least 2-2.5 gallons anyway and the equivalent critter keeper is probably going to be more expensive or just around the price of a good tank, which makes it less of a bargain. I used a hexagon shaped 2.5g tank while in college and had a spare tank for my guy when I came home during breaks. He travelled in his PetSmart cup and seemed happy.

This 2.65 gallon tank is only $20 online, which is not bad for a tank. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753107 It also includes gravel, a filter, silk plant, and I believe a light.

From that same brand, in different colors and gallons, there are other tanks more affordable if that one won't do with your budget.

The pink 1.77 for $15: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3981820

There used to be a blue one for sale at $5 but I cannot find it anymore.
Well, I'm really picky about my filter and heater, etc. So whatever tank I buy, I'll be paying extra for the filter that I'm just going to toss out anyway. The largest critter keepers run about 13 dollars and it would save me money because nothing is included for me to pay for that I don't need. :)

Also, I really won't use anything less than the equivalent of 4 gallons. I might go 3 gallons, but I'll probably stick with 4 or 5.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 
Persica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
What size do you plan on getting?
I got my 3 gallon critter keeper at petco for 11 dollars..My betta is quite happy in there..
4-5 gallons. :)
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 
pinkninja12

I don't think that a critter carrier is the best choice for a betta but it is way better than the tupper~ware containers they keep them in at pet smart.
pinkninja12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #10 
cajunamy
Banned

sure, just don't pick it up by the handle only when it's full.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote