Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #21 
Sakura8

I know, DQ, seriously! That tank is big enough scuba dive in with your fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #22 
laughing

I always thought it'd be cool to have a huge tank and scuba dive with your fish :)

I will always remember at my LFS, some teenage boys wanted to buy one of those 'Goliath' fish that get HUGE and her saying at least 1000 gallons as the bare minimum for just it and they're all, "That's like a swimming pool!!" And left ;)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #23 
Sakura8

Wow, what would the LFS do if it never sold that fish? And wait, what are they thinking selling one of those anyway, 99% of fish people can't afford a 1000 gallon tank, that's kind of irresponsible. Although . . . it would be neat to have a heated swimming pool with a 5 ft red tail cat fish in it. Swimming pool but obviously no chlorine, that is.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #24 
laughing

They have very special, exotic fish. It's their specialty! They also have their store in a rich area, too. They really educate buyers before buying and don't sell to just anyone. Even before I buy plants they give me a full run-down, LOL!

They get the fish as young babies, and have housing for them if they stay there too long and get that big. They only get one at a time and if there's no demand for them they don't get them at all. It's not like once they start growing they kill them and buy a new baby, if they did, I'd be pissed off! They really love their animals there. They constantly do water changes, have marine and freshwater, amazing set ups, etc.

On the other half, they sell things like all kinds of spiders (even poisonous to the right buyers), adult chameleons, bearded dragons, frilled dragons, snakes (some poisonous like the spiders), etc. None of these animals I have had a complaint about, they are housed perfectly, and all buyers are fully screened before purchasing. They don't care if you can even see the animal, they'll have a huge set up with full covers and foggers so the animal feels safe.

I don't find them irresponsible at all!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Well, that's good if they are going to sell animals like that. I would kinda think it'd be illegal to sell poisonous snakes and spiders but what do I know? I'm glad they are very responsible about who they sell to. Goodness knows there are plenty of pet stores that AREN'T.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #26 
bahamut285

LFS are more careful about their stock than LPS. If there is a problem in an LFS with their fish then their store would be ruined. The Big Al's near my grandmas house takes this kind of this VERY seriously, and as laughing said, whatever they sell to you they usually give you a full run down on care. There's only been one guy who didn't give me a run down because I was just buying decorations lol
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #27 
CoverMeInClay

That tank set up is more impressive them some of the set ups at the dinky aquarium they have by me. o_O
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #28 
diablo13

Dang, Piglet is one HUGE fish. My LFS also sells reptiles, and they keep them well, but I saw this really sad thing there, their only Moray Eel had barely enough room to move :(
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #29 
laughing

Yes, you can sell poisonous animals, but there's a lot involved with it, though! Not just anybody can buy.

Yes LFS are very, very, very serious about their livestock. It literally is all they have. At PetSmart they can mess up on all their livestock but they still have reptiles, small animals, supplies, dog obedience classes, day care, boarding, etc, etc. They don't care about some fish half the time. But when a store specializes in them, it's a very big deal if they lose some of their fish!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #30 
Sakura8

You guys have nice LFS. Two of mine have owners who don't speak English and at a third where I bought one of my bettas they didn't say a word about care or anything.