Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #1 
thousandsunnysink

Question My new betta!

I bought my Betta from Petco last tuesday, it's now thursday, and I think he's already making a bubble nest? Tuesday, I tried to feed him fishflakes, but he ignored them. He was much more interested in the little shells i put in his tank, pushing them around with his nose till they floated to the bottom. I tried to feed him fishflakes again wensday morning, he still ignored them. I read online that he might like mosquito larva. So since I live in California, and mosquitos always like to make babies in any water outside, I fed him about 15-20 of those, and he loved them! But since I accidently put some of the mosquito water in with him, his water got a little cloudy, and I made plans to change his water the next day. But the next morning he had a bubble nest going? What should I do about him?
thousandsunnysink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi thousandsunnysink and welcome to the forum. I'm glad your guy is happy. Mosquito larvae is good but as you've learned, be sure to rinse them off before feeding them. Also, you might want to try pellets for food instead of flakes. Good brands to try are Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula Pellets. You can usually get New Life Spectrum at Petco. Also, Top Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits from Petsmart are a decent food.

I'm glad your guy is bubblenesting already. Sadly, you will have to destroy his nest to do a water change. It happens to all of us. One of my guys only builds a bubblenest the day before a water change. They will get over it and build another one. Water changes are much much more important than a bubblenest. Since you're new here, I'll give a quick rundown on water changes. Depending on the size of his tank, you will want to do at least two water changes a week. Here's how it breaks down:
1 gallon tank: 90-100% every other day
2-3 gallon tank, no filter: one 50% and one 100% a week
2-3 gallon tank, filter: one 25% and one 50% a week
5 gallon tank, no filter: one 25% and one 50% a week
5 gallon tank, filter: one 50% a week
If you have anything smaller than 1 gallon, that's too small, you will have to change the water every single day. If you have a 10 gallon tank, it depends on whether or not he has tankmates.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Change the water....he will make another nest.......water quality is more important....

What size is the tank, filter, live plants, additives used, water temp....

In unfiltered tanks: 1-4gal need twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality and fin health...

Be sure and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between the new and old water to prevent shock

Always use dechlorinated with any water added to the tank and dose for the full volume of the tank even with partial changes as a general rule....

Really important to rinse the mosquito larva with fresh water before feeding them to the Betta....

Love to see some pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #4 
thousandsunnysink

Thank you both so much! but a quick question, How do I rinse off the larva?
thousandsunnysink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #5 
bettaloverforever16

Just run it over some hot water
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah. If you can, get a brine shrimp net and use that to scoop up the larvae. Then you just rinse the larvae in the net, same way you'd rinse pasta in a colander.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote