Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Ick Meds

So after my girls got ick I decided to not use aquarium salt and just but a med because I already had two girls in QT's for fin damage so I put the rest in their own QT. I found Two. The second I bought because I like the ingredients better. The first was Quick Cure. It is pretty cheap under $5 at walmart. The active ingredients are Formalin and Malachite green which is in most Ick meds. The second I found at my LFS and it is called NOX-ICH. The active ingredients are salt and malachite green. The second med is what I have been using and I have seen a quick improvement. The directions are the same for both 1 drop per gallon use for 3 days in a row, not saying anything about water changes, the first one says if continuing after 3 days do a 25% water change or something. Here is what worked for me. I would add one drop per gallon per day BUT I did daily water changes to get rid of fallen parasites. And it has worked. Not wanting to change 5 fish tanks the other night I decided to follow the directions doing a drop per day. No go. one of my girls caught ick again. but after doing a water change and with just a drop per gallon im seeing an improvement already. Just thought I would share this with everyone. On the girls that I completed the 3 days with minus the one who had gotten the ick again I began using AQ salt again and will until I am able to put them back in their home tank which I am treating. Make sure to just take out the filter carbon if treating in home tank, or remove your UV-sterilizer if you have one of those. Hope this helps :)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 
riese98

i think my fish has the same thing, well not really it's called white spot. check out this website that talks about the treatments for this sickness [url]www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/bettafishdiseases.html

Last edited by riese98; 07-12-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: to correct bad spelling
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Ick is often called white spot disease. same thing.

I have read a couple different treatments but I was in a panic when I saw I had 5 fish with it. So I just bought meds. With 8 fish I wanted to have something on hand that would treat fast. Thanks for the site though!

Last edited by MaggieLynn; 07-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
riese98

yeh thats why i called them the same thing. GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeh still try out that site i sent you it's very good because it tells you what treatments to give your betta

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-22-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

lol SUPERBOWL!!! lol. I copied the link and it wouldnt work but im going to keep trying, its always nice to have different sources to compare
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 
riese98

yeh xlv champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks for sharing, Maggie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote