Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Yeah, I was horrified when I had to buy Maracyn II and General Cure. I could have bought a whole 10g setup for the price the meds cost!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #12 
laughing

PitLuvs- you should experiment and see about using bottled water or something, that's so odd!

I wanted to chime in on the water conditioner... My tap water doesn't have any chlorine in it (I treat it anyways) so maybe their water is the same way??

There's hundreds of fish that die constantly from improper care, there's just the rare few that live on. It's just a very strange mystery. Just like some on here do things perfectly and their fish still pass quickly, which is heart breaking. Just one of those things in life. Hopefully they learn their lesson, though!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 AM   #13 
YoshesMom

I have a 55 gallon with 5 goldfish in it and they rarely get a water change i also have 2 HUGE pleco and 2 cory in there my biggest goldfsh right now is a veiltail thats about 7 inchs long and probably 5 tall but they also have 2 80 gallon filters in there and there water is always crystal clear im the first one to admit that golsfish are DIRTY DIRTY fish but the bottom feeders and high filtration keep everything in check and yes I test the water with drop test kits not strips and its always fine
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #14 
itbites

It's pretty simple when you think about it..

It's just like if we dose up on antibiotics over & over ..we become weakened & need stronger doses.

The same logic can be applied to any animal...I personally think some people go
way over the top with chemicals & conditioners, some put their betta's in aquariums that could house a whole school of fish etc.. So they put even more chemicals in to make up for the tank size.

All this adds up to weaker fish more susceptible to bacteria, disease & fungus issues.

JMO
itbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Yeah, itbites, the same principal can be applied to pretty much any species that's messed with a lot these days. Not to mention humans. Trust me, though, if my betta goes into a 10g, he/she is getting tankmates. I don't have enough space to have a community tank AND a 10g betta tank, so they'll just have to be combined.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote