Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #31 
Sakura8

Okay, I think I finally understand the dropsy thing then. Thanks for the medical lesson, Dr. DarkMoon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #32 
kumi

Update!

I located the anti-parasite pellets last friday and have been feeding them to him. He keeps looking at me, clearly hoping I'll give him something tastier and easier to eat!

Kenpatchi is doing well, but still is somewhat bloated, with the graying around his belly. I'll try to locate a camera get some decent pictures of him.

The directions on the pellets say to feed exclusively for 3 days straight for 4 weeks. Any suggestions on what I should actually do?? Also, he's been in water treated with anti-biotics for quite awhile now, looks like 12 days.

My uneducated inclination would be to say time to leave the antibiotics out of the water, but perhaps they should stay in if I should keep on giving him the pellets?????? In any case, I'll keep him with the epsom salts and IALs just arrived today. I had some rooibus tea in there in the meantime.

I just saw another thread that I'll check about pop-eye....

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #33 
DarkMoon17

I'm glad to hear he's doing better! How are his symptoms? Are his scales raised at all? How is his activity level?

Continue the pellets until all symptoms are gone. You can feed him up to 4 of those pellets per day. Ignore the part about "3 days straight", that's for treating parasites. You are treating a bacterial infection so feed them every day.

Keep using the Epsom and add the IAL. If his scales are raised then continue the Maracyn treatment but if they aren't then you can stop for now. Be prepared to use it again if his scales pinecone again.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #34 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I'm glad to hear he's doing better! How are his symptoms? Are his scales raised at all? How is his activity level?

Continue the pellets until all symptoms are gone. You can feed him up to 4 of those pellets per day. Ignore the part about "3 days straight", that's for treating parasites. You are treating a bacterial infection so feed them every day.

Keep using the Epsom and add the IAL. If his scales are raised then continue the Maracyn treatment but if they aren't then you can stop for now. Be prepared to use it again if his scales pinecone again.
Thank you! Do I just toss in a piece of a leaf? Also, any suggestions on the best way to store the IAL? They're in a ziplock bag.

Kumi
Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #35 
DarkMoon17

Yep, you can toss in a piece of the leaf. You want just enough for the water to turn tea colored. IAL can be stored in their zip lock in a dry area. You can also increase the Epsom to up to 3tsp/gal. Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #36 
Sakura8

Good luck, kumi, I hope kenpatchi gets better.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #37 
kumi

Kenpachi is now spending most of his time sleeping/resting on the silk plant I put in with him. 3tbsp/gal Epsom salt, anti-parasite pellets, meds in water, tank warm, IAL. I think that's all there is to do, right?

I took the time to see what else is going on in the forum--seems like a lot more dropsy than usual. You guys have been a great help all around!

Kumi
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #38 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think that's about all you can do. Now it's a watch and wait game. I sure hope he perks up, poor guy. He's been battling this for a while now.

And yeah, there is a bad thing with dropsy going on, it's weird. And sad, too.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #39 
kumi

He's still hanging in there

Kenpatchi does an excellent imitation of a dead/dying fish at times and then starts swimming around again. I honestly don't see him recovering, but every time I start thinking of euthanizing him, he improves some. He's still bloated (mild oranda shape rather than slim betta body), but he's eating and he can go down to the bottom of the QT looking for food and swim back up. He does spend a lot of time either in his floating betta log (perfect for a QT) or on the fabric plant. After a water change yesterday, I tossed a piece of IAL in and it settled on the plant rather than sinking. Kenpatchi slept on the leaf last night!!! He seemed to do better when being treated with Macyn II rather than API General Cure, so I switched back to that. I'm also feeding him the anti-parasite pellets, but cheating a bit--I gave him two frozen blood worms for breakfast this morning. While I'm treating him, I also think of this as hospice care.

I am so happy that I have the IAL. It clearly is making him feel better even if he doesn't recover!

Kumi
Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #40 
Sakura8

It's amazing how they can keep going even when common sense says they should be gone by now. I'm glad he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and the IAL is a godsend. If he doesn't seem to be suffering, then keep trying with the Maracyn II and the pellets and let him try to fight it off. Hang in there you two!