Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #11 
1fish2fish

As beat said the payment is yearly. FLARE! Magazine comes out bi-monthly and TFH comes out monthly. I've been reading my first issue and its really a great magazine.

Imo it can be beneficial for a nonbreeder to join if your truly in love with this fish and want to learn more about it. There's no more informative source IMO on treating diseases and which medications work.

I WILL say that the primary focus is breeding and getting people to breed so if your not at all interested in breeding save your money.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #12 
Martinismommy

This is a really good time for any Betta fancier to consider joining the IBC....It offers the "FLARE" online magazine which is full of info regarding Betta care and breeding....Also a list of upcoming shows....We also are offering a free subscription the the TFH online magazine for 1 year if you join by the end of the month.....Another kudo of joining the IBC is the Betta Pals program.....The way this works is when you join you sign up for the Betta Pals...After you have been a member for 30 days you can request a pair donated by experienced breeders free of charge.....All you pay is the shipping....I donate pairs to this program ....

I'm heading the Junior mentorship program this year for the IBC...My goal it to guide as many young breeders as possible through the spawning process all the way to the New Breeders classes at IBC International show...I'm also the current Vice President of the IBC.....If any of you have questions regarding the IBC feel free to PM me or e mail me.....

Here is a link to my website which will offer a link to the IBC......
http://quicksilverchihuahuas.webs.co...asplendens.htm
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #13 
Sakura8

I love TFH, it's an awesome magazine and the editor-in-chief David Boruchowtiz wrote my "Betta Bible," Aquarium Care of Bettas.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #14 
TexasCichlid

I'd likely breed if it did not seem so time consuming. Good deal on the membership, however.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #15 
Sakura8

I would almost do it for the TFH subscription but I'm never going to show my bettas and I get plenty of good info here on this forum so I'll save my $20 for another betta. But it's a great offer and a great organization so I'd recommend it for anyone else who is interested.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

To be honest if you don't get out of control with it breeding really isn't that time consuming.

Say you save up and buy a nice pair.. you have to take care of them... simple water changes and feeding.. if you cycle their tanks it's a breeze.

Now you spawn them. You culture live foods (which is simple if you don't overcomplicate the process), feed twice a day or more if you can, do a water change every day.

At most you should spend 30-45 minutes... most of which is spent slowly siphoning the water. The bigger they get the quicker you can do changes because they're less likely to get sucked up. Add in a cycled sponge filter and you can even get away with every other day changes.

The two hardest times are when the fry are very small and when the males must be jarred. You can't really get around young fry but you can selectively cull males or just keep the spawn small from the get go.

Many breeders sell males straight from the grow out if they need to reduce stock or give away to pet stores or cull in the strictest sense of the word. It's completely up to you how many jars you want to change.

Plus if you use larger jars (upwards of a gallon) you can even get away with every other day water changes.

Long winded and seems scary but I promise it's really not that bad. However you have to be dedicated and organized with your time.

ETA... The time consuming part comes in when you do multiple spawns at multiple ages, hold fish back to create lines, hold fish to show, etc. You can breed as a hobby without breeding to create lines.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

I just dont have the space (in my dorm, which is all of the size of a closet...sigh.) but I think when I move out I would give it at least one serious go. It seems rewarding!

Im trying to convince Dan to get the subscription with me, haha!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote