Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #1 
Loralyn94

Concerned, could this be fin rot?

So, i'm new here and thought it might be a good place to ask for some help with my betta. I've had him for less than a week and happened to look at his fins and noticed were his tail seemed to have a piece missing from it. I wasnt sure if it was just torn and damaged or if this is a case of fin rot and needs treatment. Any advice is appreciated!

Pictures:

Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 
copperarabian

yeah that's fin rot :( it's not too bad yet, you should add aquarium salt to his water to help it heal and do more water changes so his water is extra clean while it heals.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Dark edging...yeah I'd say that's probably fin rot. Easy to treat however, with aquarium salt. New growth will be basically transparent. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

I can see some dark edges, however, I can't tell if it is rot or normal pigment.....need some more information.....

How big is his tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, appetite, tank mates, additives use-amount and type......behavior changes and other signs/symptom.....like clamped fins, hiding, lethargic, flashing....etc.....

A side view pic of him in full flare would help

Often even with minor fin rot.....fresh dechlorinated water from frequent water changes is often the best treatment...

Beautiful fella you found......nice find......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

I can see some dark edges, however, I can't tell if it is rot or normal pigment.....need some more information.....

How big is his tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, appetite, tank mates, additives use-amount and type......behavior changes and other signs/symptom.....like clamped fins, hiding, lethargic, flashing....etc.....

A side view pic of him in full flare would help

Often even with minor fin rot.....fresh dechlorinated water from frequent water changes is often the best treatment...

Beautiful fella you found......nice find......
I was hoping that this wouldn't be fin rot, but at least i've caught it early if it is.

His tank is between 4 and 5 gallons, not sure what kind of water changes or anything that he was getting at the pet store, but just changed it when he moved to his permanent tank (its been 4 days since original tank move). His tank mates are a ghost shrimp and mystery snail. The only additive i've added is a dechlorinator by top fin. Water is between 78 and 79 degrees. No plants in tank atm, but are going to be added tomorrow as well as a filter.

As far as unusual behavior goes, he seems to be swimming and staying more towards the bottom of his tank.

I was hoping to get a picture of him flaring, but he kept darting away. I plan to try again in a little bit.
Thanks for the compliment and for the help!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In 4gal unfiltered tank-I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...the first water change (50%) on a new setup should start on day 3.....

Once the filter is added....water changes on 4gal-twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method

Depending on the number and species of live plants-you may be able to reduce water changes on the 4gal filtered to 50% weekly....

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes to prevent temp shock

Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank
Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes as a general rule.....

IMO/E-fresh/dechlorinated water is the number one medication and best first line defense of secondary infections......

It can be a challenge to get pic of any moving object...lol....I still can't do it....laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 
Loralyn94

thanks for the help. I plan to pick up some aquarium salts tomorrow and some fin rot meds (from what i've read, good to have on hand regardless) and start treating him.
Your all's help was amazing!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #8 
Loralyn94

also, i was just wondering how long (once treated) will it take for his fins to grow back and return to normal?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

General rule seems to be a month. Could be quicker, might be slower. Depends on the fish. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #10 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPanthersgurl View Post
General rule seems to be a month. Could be quicker, might be slower. Depends on the fish. :)
Thanks so much! I'm absolutely loving how helpful everyone is here!

Tags
concerned, disease, fin rot, sick, torn fin