Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #1991 
PewPewPew

Thats so odd.

I agree with JK, though, if you can manage it, keep the fish in the box...but if the ride is long enough, put the box in the cooler, too :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #1992 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Thats so odd.

I agree with JK, though, if you can manage it, keep the fish in the box...but if the ride is long enough, put the box in the cooler, too :D
i dont know how big the box is. the cooler is 7 3/4inches height, 5 inches wide at smallest and nearly 11 inches long. i do have other larger coolers but those really do like beer coolers. carrying what seems to be alcohol in a cooler on public transport puts me on edge if anyone wants to look inside to shock the fish. i'll try my best to keep the box unopened until im ready to open it.

Last edited by nel3; 07-22-2011 at 04:40 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #1993 
JKfish

If it's just one fish, it should be a smaller sized box, and hopefully would fit in the cooler, if not, that's fine. Just hold your fish box to minimize the bumps. unless the ride is an hour or so, it should be okay. I don't know about in Canada, but down here in the states, a lot of the backs of mail trucks have no AC, and where I live, it can easily get around 35 degrees celcius this time of year. I know there is a transhipper who lives actually further down south than I am, and she manages to ship fish out during all times of the year without mishap.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #1994 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If it's just one fish, it should be a smaller sized box, and hopefully would fit in the cooler, if not, that's fine. Just hold your fish box to minimize the bumps. unless the ride is an hour or so, it should be okay. I don't know about in Canada, but down here in the states, a lot of the backs of mail trucks have no AC, and where I live, it can easily get around 35 degrees celcius this time of year. I know there is a transhipper who lives actually further down south than I am, and she manages to ship fish out during all times of the year without mishap.

thank you, worst case scenario i put the betta bag in to the cooler (in a dark area)with cool water bags, towel and packing foam. so i dont need to have a cooler in the shipping box given the crazy heat?

Last edited by nel3; 07-22-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #1995 
JKfish

Well, if adding a cooling pack to the box is an option that your transhipper is giving you, I would go for it. It's crazy hot out, so it's probably a good idea. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #1996 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Well, if adding a cooling pack to the box is an option that your transhipper is giving you, I would go for it. It's crazy hot out, so it's probably a good idea. :)
thank you i just sent a email asking for that option just now. i wouldn't want to receive a cooked fish after the money and time for it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #1997 
Squidmagician

What, other than fin rot, would cause my crowntail's fins to - for lack of a better word - break off? I noticed recently that part of his tail suddenly shorter than it was, and now it looks like the same thing is happening to his fins. My first thought, of course, was fin rot, but the tips of his fins don't look black at all. A few of them are curled a bit, but that's all. And he seems perfectly fine otherwise.

Any idea what would cause this?
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #1998 
Shimizoki

He could be biting his fins, if they are curling it could also be a hint of poor water conditions.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #1999 
Squidmagician

I wondered if he might be biting them. I've never noticed him doing so, but of course, I can't watch him 24/7.

Hmm. The tank is 3 gallons, and I've been doing water changes twice a week - one 50% and one 100%. Perhaps I should do another 50% in between...

It's funny. He seems happier than ever, wiggling up to greet me whenever I walk by. And he's even started building a bubble nest. But I just compared with some pictures I took when we first moved him to the new tank, and there's definitely been a big change in his fins... :\
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #2000 
Shimizoki

something else I didnt think about till now... There may be something rough, sharp, abrasive, etc in his tank. If his tail gets caught it could do damage. Pictures would help people smarter than myself.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote