Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
lessandler

Exclamation Fishless Cycling & Nirtite Spike

I have been fishless cycling a fluval edge with the pre-set fluval heater and tahitian moon sand and nothing else for 4-5 weeks now. I did not have starter media from another tank (none I trust I'm afraid), but used Hagen's Cycle to jump start it (although I quit adding it). I am also using Ace Hardware's janitoral ammonia with no other additives.

In the beginning I definitely did not properly measure the ammonia I put into the tank and a few times the ammonia levels read off the API text kit chart (above 8 ppm) until I got a baby medication measurerer and got it consistent at about 2 ppm. Now it is cycling the ammonia very fast and clearly cycling the nitrates as they have read off the charts. But the nitrites are off the chart at above 5 ppm for the last couple weeks.

I have done 2 PWC, the last one I did %50 and the nitrites are still off the chart. But it brought the nitrates down from off the charts to it's current reading of 40-80 ppm.

Do I need to do more water changes until the nitrites are readable? And will the nitrifying bacteria ever catch up or should I let the ammonia eating bacteria die off a bit? Right now they are eating up 1-2 ppm a day easily. And with such high nitrate levels clearly there are a lot of nitrite eating bacteria.

I am only planning on having one betta in entire 6 gallon aquaclear filtered tank. And I am concerned that since he willl not be creating 1-2 ppm ammonia a day, that there will be significant bacteria die off that will create an ammonia spike. But should I keep feeding this amount on ammonia anyway?

Also I do have a 50 watt adjustable heater on my QT tank. Should I swap it out for the fluval heater while it cycles? The fluval is pre-set to 78, whereas I can go higher with the other. Will it make a difference at this point?

The ph on it is about 8, which I thought is good for cycling, but I will use ro water before putting a fish in that.

I also ordered tetra safe start and dr tim's one and only bacterial additives which will be arriving tomorrow. Maybe they will help with nitrite spike?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any responses!
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 
regalesse

you can try a product called nite out or go to any pond lake of relatively still body of water and get a floating plant like duckweed and put in there they like the nitrates and will clear up the water quickly
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #3 
lessandler

Thanks! The tank is now cycled though. I did do another nearly 80% WC and it cycled within days. It might have just been coincidental but I do think a high nitrite level may stall a tank. But considering I had no starter media and used only ammonia, I think a 6 week cycle is pretty damn good!

Getting a new fish in 2 weeks so I am still feeding it 4 ppm a day but it's eating it up and at 0 0 every day! I just hope after I put the baffle on and lower the flow for the thing it doesn't have some bacteria die off. Didn't want to add plants to skew the cycle but they are coming in this week.
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote