Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #11 
NCPanthersgurl

Well that's what I'm worried about. I have a little building...thing..in there that is giving off an obnoxiously strong plastic scent. It says its aquarium safe but man...I've never had one that smelled like this.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #12 
TheBlueBettaFish

....you washed BEFORE you put it in...right?
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #13 
NCPanthersgurl

Yup, I definitely did. But it wasn't til I was catching him for QT that I noticed how strong it was. Before, I washed it, put it in, it stayed like waist height. When I caught him I had it in my left hand closer to the top of the tank, which is about eye level to me. I noticed it then.

He seems to be a bit more normal this morning...but I put him in a clean water QT with a conditioner that has almond leaf in it and stress coat. Not the same water as in the tank...He's still lethargic but I got him to eat.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #14 
Punki

Id return that awful thing, if it gives off a smell like that it must be releasing some chemicals. Jeez how scary! Id go return that for a plastic plant or some other hiding spot, mine like plastic plants best though, easier access and more coverage :))
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #15 
NCPanthersgurl

That's what I figured. I'll have to do a 100% on the ten gallon, fill it about 4 inches, and hopefully release him in there again. He's doing better out of the main tank, but still.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #16 
Punki

Once the waters out give everything a quick rinse and he should do fine in it, hes probably still getting used to the massive amount of space he now has, and that chemical just made him a bit ill. Hes so pretty though~
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #17 
NCPanthersgurl

He is, and like I said he's eating okay. I did a 100% change, filled it about 4 inches, and I'm acclimating him to the water. It's been treated with the same stuff his little QT bowl was though, so it won't be a huge jump. Then I'll just leave him be and let him de-stress. I left a couple live plants, a plastic plant, and the heater in there for now. Once he gets to where he's more comfortable around us I'll worry about getting his home more permanently arranged. He's more skiddish than Alma was, and that's saying something; she'd stripe up if we came near her when I got her.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #18 
NCPanthersgurl

Update: Courtesy of the new water, a tsp of epsom salt, and some high protein brine shrimp, Callisto is much more active tonight. I really do believe it was a combination of stress and the house, and if I can't find a way to make it safe we'll probably take it back. Thanks for all the advice/support guys! :)