Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #1 
diablo13

Albino Cories

I want to know everything. I know they need to be kept in groups of at least 4, need a 10 gallon tank, and small substrate. I need tips, good sized gravel( and if they need sand, how to clean it) and simply EVERYTHING! Thanks!
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
insertnamehere

Albino Cory Catfish are fantastic little bottom feeders. If you go with gravel you need to make sure it is smooth so that it won't hurt them in any way. Hiding places are also a most in plants or little caves so that they can get out of the light when they want to as they can be a little sensitive to light.

They will also need sinking pellets or wafers. Personally I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets for the most part.

If you're getting 4 of them for a 10 gallon tank that will pretty much stock your tank with 8" of fish with the inch per gallon rule. They are also very energetic little guys and will spend most of the time swimming back and forth and chasing one another so 10 gallons might be a bit tight for them in my opinion.

Also make sure to cycle your tank before adding any new fish to your tank :) Hope some of this helped
insertnamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
diablo13

Would I be able to have the school of Cories and a Betta? If it's any use, the length of the tank is 21" and the width is between 10-12", sorry i forgot
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 
insertnamehere

Do you not know how many gallons the tank holds? What is the height of the tank?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #5 
diablo13

No, it's a 10 gallon tank and the height is the same as the width. I just didn't mention the height because cories are primarily bottom dwellers
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 
insertnamehere

Right but you're looking to put a school in with your betta. I know that bettas are usually the most acceptable of peaceful bottom dwelling fish but you also need to make sure you don't over load your BB in the tank or else you'll have a lot of ammonia and then sick fish.

Is this a new 10 gallon tank?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #7 
diablo13

Yes, I was going to get the betta next weekend along with tank and everything else, I was going to cycle it, with 1 50% water change a week when cycled, and 2 50% weekly for the first 1-2 months. Should I get them before/after cycle?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #8 
insertnamehere

Just my recommendation is to cycle the tank before any fish goes in there. You can buy pure ammonia and dose up the tank to 4ppm. Eventually beneficial bacteria (BB) will grow and begin to turn the ammonia into nitrite then to nitrate which is exactly what you want to happen.

I always cycle my tanks no matter how clean a fish is known to be. Bettas are usually more clean than other tropical fish so you may be able to cycle the tank with the bettas ammonia but the best way is a fish-less cycle. Which many people learn the hard way from the lfs which just tell them to run their tank for 48 hours then fill with fish.

I'm by means no fish expert but before the school of corys go in the tank definitely needs to be cycled or they most likely won't all make it and will die a pretty bad death due to ammonia poisoning :/

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle before you get any fish for your tank. They will end up living a much longer and healthier life :) And once the tank is cycled make sure to not add too many fish at once. If getting 4 corys add 2 at first and wait for your tank to handle the extra ammonia before getting the other 2 as cory cats are not as clean as bettas.

Just make sure you do your research before getting any new pets in that tank. I'd go ahead and get started with your tank tomorrow as cycling can take a few weeks but please please consider doing it. If your tank is cycled you will only need to do 25% water changes once a week.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #9 
diablo13

Okay, thanks!