Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
bby1984

Would you breed an imperfect Betta?

I have a male Betta with really great coloration. He is a very vibrant male and I think he would have healthy offspring. My question is an aesthetic one. I want to breed him because of his unique coloration and long stunning fins. However, as a crowntail he is imperfect. His webbing is uneven. He was a unique petstore find and he got desensitized to other male bettas so he does not fully flare. Because of this getting a good shot of him is difficult. I’m hoping that with a little time alone that will fix itself, he is still young yet. Since I have had him he has already started to transform a little. His fins have grown out more and his color has become a little richer. He is an orangey-gold color with a metallic sheen. What are the chances of his offspring developing better fin qualities if I wanted to start a line with him? Would you breed him or should I just keep my eye out for the “perfect betta”? Thanks ahead of time and I look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

Bobby

P.S. When I am able I will try to take a photo of him in full flare. He is the only other betta I have at the moment and mirrors/pictures of other males flaring don’t work. I even tried playing videos on my phone to no avail. Here is the best example I have at the moment His caudal fin was a little torn when I got him and is getting better. They were taken on my phone so they are not perfect.
Attached Images

bby1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #2 
Persica

He is a gorgeous boy! Honestly, I don't think the fin thing matters unless you're looking to make the top buck for his babies. When I buy bettas, I don't care if they are "perfect" or not. And I'm sure there are a lot of other owners like that as well. Just from a consumer's point of view. :) Anyway, let us know if you breed him! He's BEAUTIFUL. I might be interested in a baby!
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

To be honest, the form comes mainly from the female. So if you were to pick a very nicely "made" female, she should balance out any physical flaws you're worried about in him. :) His color is nice, and he looks beautiful. I'd say why not. As long as there's no concern of passing disease or disabilities, a couple minor physical flaws shouldn't stop you. Just make sure you read up on breeding before you try; I've been reading nonstop and only now feel comfortable trying it...and even now I'm still anxious about it >.<
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #4 
Luimeril

imperfect fins aren't much. x: to me, your male looks amazing! <3 CT fins are hard to keep perfect, imo.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

this is how lines are created :) start with an imperfect fish and breed until you get the result you want! i'd totally do it. finding him a great female on AB would help out.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 
bby1984

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses! It will be a few months before I try breeding him. I have to fatten him up and find the perfect partner for him first. I plan on getting a sorority tank up and running in the next couple of months. I'm working on starting live food cultures at the moment too. I have BS hatcherys up so far. I am going to start a daphnia tank and then find some soon. There are a few other things I want to take care of first as well. Ill probably be ready after finals in the fall. I'll definatly be active on the forums when the time comes though! Thanks again for all your thoughts! =)

Bobby
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not sure how to manipulate CT genetics since I've never worked with them. But I do agree that the female determines form more than the male. IMO the problem is maintaining the color. Your best bet is getting a gold female CT. You could perhaps use other metallics like copper, yellow dragon etc. But I'm not sure of the outcome..... I'm still searching on how to make gold from scratch.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #8 
bby1984

Thanks for the feedback Indjo. I have been keeping my eye out for a few females to set up a soroity tank. I read somewhere that in order to preserve gold in bettas you have to avoid colors that mask red as red has been bred out to create the gold color strain. The colors that I am looking for in my females are pure black, gold, copper dragon, platinum, yellow and white. I am still learning about betta color genetics. Are any of these colors problimatic that you know of in passing on gold to some of his kids? Also, if I bred him with a female that was not ct what tail types would I look for as to pass on ct to his kids ? Thanks in advance! =)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #9 
LittleBettas

VT is dominate, all other tail types, as far as I know, are recessive, I just got a GORGEOUS orange female VT from Walmart, she has SBD and a bit of chewed up fins, it is possible to find these colors at petstores, you just hav to look really hard, I think its the doubletails (not sure) but breeding a double tail to a doubletail causes genetic problems, if you want to you could take the longer route and if you find a nicely colored orange/golden/yellow female (regardless of fin shape) and breed it with him, I believe the offspring would have recessive crowntails (Vc) if the off spring were to be bred with another orange/golden/yellow crowntail (maybe double back and breed with the dad) then at least some of the offspring of the desired bunch would have crowntails and be orange/golden/yellow... ALL crowntails have double recessive crowntail genes (cc), veiltails have dominate veiltail and who knows what else (V?)
its been awhile since I've taken genetics though...

my female orange VT though:
Wildfire has SBD and a bit of fin chewing, this was taken in the car, hopefully I can get a better picture in the morning
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby1984 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Indjo. I have been keeping my eye out for a few females to set up a soroity tank. I read somewhere that in order to preserve gold in bettas you have to avoid colors that mask red as red has been bred out to create the gold color strain. The colors that I am looking for in my females are pure black, gold, copper dragon, platinum, yellow and white. I am still learning about betta color genetics. Are any of these colors problimatic that you know of in passing on gold to some of his kids? Also, if I bred him with a female that was not ct what tail types would I look for as to pass on ct to his kids ? Thanks in advance! =)
Be careful with pure blacks. The only pure blacks are usually "super black" which are rather rare and perhaps unavailable in pet stores AND "melano" which are infertile (females) thus useless for your goals. Black laces aren't pure, they have irids on body and fins. Black coppers (descendants of copper dragons) aren't pure as well. But the last two can be bred (females).

IMO it would be easier to use white, platinum (metallic white), or yellow because they all have NR genes that you need. Something I recently read says 2 yellows may produce red.... but I don't know how that works - My logic says 2 NR genes should make the trait stronger???

Crossing CT to any tail types would produce uneven webbing. If you're willing to start your own line and selectively breed for generations, I suggest you get a nice HM female. Otherwise, try to get another CT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote