Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #11 
bby1984

LittleBettas, thanks. She has a nice color. I would like to see a good picture of her =). I bet she fixes up really well now that you have her. Ikiryo (I call him Wraith for short) had ripped fins when I got him and a few scales loose on his head but he was the most energetic and curious betta at my lfs. He would not flare though he would just swim circles and stare back at me. He has such a great personality. He is becoming quite stunning as his fins heal up and he gains more color. I am quite pleasantly surprised.

I am thinking about playing around with other metallics with him. I found a really pretty Steel ct female that I think would pair up with him nicely. I think they would end up with nice mustered gas babies. =D I want to get at least three females for my sorority before I commit to one. I would be happy to find a nice yellow or gold female hm/ct. I have been watching new shipments at several local stores that sell bettas. I figure I'll just know exactly what I am looking for when I see her.

Can't wait to see more pics of your new betta. Have you named her yet? =)
bby1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #12 
bby1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Be careful with pure blacks. The only pure blacks are usually "super black" which are rather rare and perhaps unavailable in pet stores AND "melano" which are infertile (females) thus useless for your goals. Black laces aren't pure, they have irids on body and fins. Black coppers (descendants of copper dragons) aren't pure as well. But the last two can be bred (females).

IMO it would be easier to use white, platinum (metallic white), or yellow because they all have NR genes that you need. Something I recently read says 2 yellows may produce red.... but I don't know how that works - My logic says 2 NR genes should make the trait stronger???

Crossing CT to any tail types would produce uneven webbing. If you're willing to start your own line and selectively breed for generations, I suggest you get a nice HM female. Otherwise, try to get another CT.
Thanks Indjo, I was a little curious about pure black betta since black coloring in mammels is usually a dominant, codominant or incomplete dominant trait. I have seen some really great looking bettas with black/gold coloration but am not sure how this is accomplished. I would also not like to do anything to make duplicating his form difficult in the future. He has really great traits. Platinum and white look really great on bettas imo. I have yet to see any of either at any of my lfs’s though and they are usually more than I can afford to pay for a nice one on aquabid at the moment xD. I have been keeping my eye out though.

I kind of thought that about crossing tail types. I am following your advice and looking for females with great fin structure, although I am less and less concerned about him as he continues to develop. Because I am looking for something so specific it is a little bit of a challenge finding it but I am patient. I would be happy passing on the traits that make him so attractive to me to his spawn so I may eventually duplicate and perfect it. No matter what I think he would make great babies and he is a great fish friend lol. =)
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #13 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby1984 View Post
I would be happy passing on the traits that make him so attractive to me to his spawn so I may eventually duplicate and perfect it. No matter what I think he would make great babies and he is a great fish friend lol. =)
^ +1 :)

As long as you love the fish for who they are, it doesn't really matter what they look like, IMO. If you wanted to cross tail types, I think HM would be really neat. You'd end up with a lot of half-suns (HM's with spikey finnage) I think they look cool. :D
And just because he doesn't have "the perfect fins" doesn't mean you shouldn't breed. As stated before- that's where everyone starts from.
Where's the fun in trying to re-create something if you already have perfect fish...? That seems more like someone would just be in it for the money (which isn't bad!) :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #14 
bby1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post

As long as you love the fish for who they are, it doesn't really matter what they look like, IMO. If you wanted to cross tail types, I think HM would be really neat. You'd end up with a lot of half-suns (HM's with spikey finnage) I think they look cool. :D
And just because he doesn't have "the perfect fins" doesn't mean you shouldn't breed. As stated before- that's where everyone starts from.
Where's the fun in trying to re-create something if you already have perfect fish...? That seems more like someone would just be in it for the money (which isn't bad!) :)
Yea that would be cool and I totally agree. I picked him because I thought he was awsome but someone made me self concious about his fins. =( Making enough money to support my addiction would be cool. XD I don't need to make a living out of it or anything I just love fish. I want to clone my boy because I love him and want to be able to have him for ever. Lol

My Petstore got some cool bettas in and i snagged a couple. I think I found my gold female and she looks like shes a halfmoon dragon. =D They are acclimating right now and then I am going to place them all in quarintine. I'll post some pics soon.

I felt so bad they were all stressed out, and my new male has ick =(. Their water was so blue I could hardly see them!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #15 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby1984 View Post
Yea that would be cool and I totally agree. I picked him because I thought he was awsome but someone made me self concious about his fins. =( Making enough money to support my addiction would be cool. XD I don't need to make a living out of it or anything I just love fish. I want to clone my boy because I love him and want to be able to have him for ever. Lol

My Petstore got some cool bettas in and i snagged a couple. I think I found my gold female and she looks like shes a halfmoon dragon. =D They are acclimating right now and then I am going to place them all in quarintine. I'll post some pics soon.

I felt so bad they were all stressed out, and my new male has ick =(. Their water was so blue I could hardly see them!
Awww yay! I'm glad you found your female! You'll have some nice babies!!! :D
If you need help with spawning, fry food, and conditioning feel free to ask! Everyone is here to help! ^^
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #16 
LittleBettas

I named my girl Wildfire, depending on how she turns out, and along witha few other factors, I may breed her... not 100% sure yet though

Breeding him with the steel girl would be AWESOME, post pics of the new girls please!!!!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #17 
bby1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
I named my girl Wildfire, depending on how she turns out, and along witha few other factors, I may breed her... not 100% sure yet though

Breeding him with the steel girl would be AWESOME, post pics of the new girls please!!!!
Nice name! Alright here comes a pic spam. Sorry the cam on my iphone sucks so the pics don't really do justice. I wish I could afford a new one =/.

I have not gotten my steel yet. And my gold girl swears there is something in that flower. She was gold in the store, now I cant tell if she is yellow or gold, her color has faded. =(
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #18 
youlovegnats

So cute!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #19 
LittleBettas

BEAUTIFUL! all of them!
Wildfire lightened up when I first brough her home to, she's darkened back up once she settled down so your girl may do the same, good luck!
(keep us updated on pics!)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #20 
bby1984

Thanks youlovegnats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
BEAUTIFUL! all of them!
Wildfire lightened up when I first brough her home to, she's darkened back up once she settled down so your girl may do the same, good luck!
(keep us updated on pics!)
Thanks! Will do. The new crowntail male I just bought is really sick. =( I started his ick treatment last night. He is really lethargic so I lowered his water level to make breathing easier for him. I put one of the females nearby, she makes him perk up every once and a while. I figure it'll give him something to live for. =) corporate petstores take poor care of there bettas.