Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Red Patch

So I gave one of my rescues to a friend of mine and after moving him to a very well lit room and having aquarium lights we noticed that he was getting a red patch on his head.

Now he's been changing color and getting redder since being in the large, heated tank in a healthy, happy, betta way.
Well on his head there is a large red patch that looks raised, like not some of his scales.
We're both newbies and a little worried.
Also he has been doing some serious glass surfing, I thought he was just adjusting and it'd eventually stop but my friend has said it hasn't. I'm going to be bringing some plants over tomorrow to see if that helps.
And he's started hanging out at the bottom of the tank more.

I plan on bringing him more plants and taking ammonia levels tomorrow; along with a pic of the fish.
Sorry I couldn't get that tonight.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3pellets in the morning and 3 at night, presoaked

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Not sure, at least weekly

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? First water change 50% Second water change 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner, on and off Aquarium Salt to help boost his immune system not constantly though

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not Sure to Any of these I'll be able to test Ammonia tomorrow
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large, red patch on his head is growing. It doesn't look like his scales more like fungus or something smooth growing on it.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Starting to stay at the bottom.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I had him for about a month in poor light conditions so I didn't notice patch; then a week ago he went to his new home and I noticed the patch.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium Salt

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of

How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea I got him from PetCo, but like I said I've had him for at least a month

Thanks for any help!
I'll get a pic as soon as possible.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 
Sakura8

When he glass surfs, does he rub up against the glass or anything like that? Like he's trying to rub something off? Or I'm wondering if he may have bumped his head and gotten a scrape or bruise. Does he have any other strange colored spots anywhere else? And when he's hanging out at the bottom does it seem like he is lethargic or just sleeping or exploring? Is he still eating? Sorry for the question bombardment. >.<
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
When he glass surfs, does he rub up against the glass or anything like that? Like he's trying to rub something off?
Andy(my friend) said that he hasn't

Quote:
Or I'm wondering if he may have bumped his head and gotten a scrape or bruise. Does he have any other strange colored spots anywhere else? And when he's hanging out at the bottom does it seem like he is lethargic or just sleeping or exploring? Is he still eating?
I'm not really sure. I'm going over there today to do a full check up and I'll write down everything I notice. But Andy did say that he was acting fine and normal. Just hanging down at the bottom more; and yes he is still eating.

Quote:
Sorry for the question bombardment. >.<
Not a problem at all I understand that you need details and that's it's to better help the fish. :D
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote