Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #1 
britty

Exclamation *please help*

I have a sick female betta fish. I would like to know if there is any kind of medication I can buy, and if anyone knows what is wrong with her...

Symptoms:

Stopped eating, almost a week ago :(
Losing a lot of her colour
Maybe a bloated belly? (But she has always been a bit bigger)
She started staying at the bottom of her tank and not moving around much.

I went to a pet store and the guy there said that she probably has a digestive problem. (I told him that she had a long string of poo attached to her for a few days) He also said that if thats the problem, there is nothing I can do for her.

I researched it though, and some of her symptoms lead to a bacterial problem??

The poo has finally come off and she seems much more active today. She actually tried to eat (but just spit it out).

Please offer any advice! I am really afraid that she is going to starve to death before I can figure out what is wrong with her.
britty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi britty and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your girl is sick. If you can answer the following questions that would really help us with a diagnosis. Don't worry about your girl starving to death just yet, fish can go for up to two weeks or more without food. I'm more worried she has a bacterial infection. The info you provide will help me figure out if she does or not. Also, if you can take a pic of her, that would be great.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #3 
britty

Housing
What size is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]3 1/2 gallons[/color]
What temperature is your tank? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]room temp?[/color]
Does your tank have a filter? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]No[/color]
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Yes[/color]
Is your tank heated? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]No[/color]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]None[/color]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Pellets[/color]
How often do you feed your betta fish? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Twice a day[/color]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Once a week[/color]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]75%[/color]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Water Conditioner[/color]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]NO[/color]

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Losing her color, could also be bloated.[/color]
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Stays at the bottom of the tank, in a corner. Ignores food and only goes up for air.[/color]
When did you start noticing the symptoms? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Little over a week ago :([/color]
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]No[/color]
Does your fish have any history of being ill? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Not that I know of[/color]
How old is your fish (approximately)? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]We got her a month ago[/color]

There is a chance she could be getting better because she has been swimming around and atleast trying to eat! But I still would like to make sure it is not a bacterial infection. (Because her water got quite dirty when I went on a trip and my sister didn't change it...)

Again thank you so much for anybody who can offer any help :)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Thank you for the info. First, she's probably going to need a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and need temps of about 78-80 degrees to thrive. Otherwise they get cold and are more prone to illness. I imagine your pet store told you she didn't need a heater when you bought her, they all say that for some reason but they're wrong.

Your water changes sound okay, 75% a week for a 3.5g tank, maybe bump it up to 100% a week. Clean water is the best thing she could have.

It sounds like she has bacterial infection all right. Since she is refusing food, you'll have to treat her with Maracyn II. It might be easier to get a small 1 gallon tank to treat her in because you will have to do frequent water changes during the course of treatment. Hopefully we've caught the infection in time and the Maracyn II can take care of it. I hope she gets better quickly, keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 
britty

Awesome! Thank you! :D :D

But if for some reason she DOES have some sort of digestive problem, with the medicine harm her?

And about how many pellets a day should I have been feeding her?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 
Sakura8

The medicine shouldn't harm her. The only kind of digestive problem she could have is constipation. Since she was pooping, that's not a problem.

You can feed your girl maybe 4 pellets a day. If you can, getting a variety of foods is really the best way to feed her. You can get things like frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. She'll love those and the higher protein will help keep her healthier. You just take what you need and thaw it, then use tweezer or chopsticks to feed her. Thawed foods can last in the fridge for about two days. If you have a variety, you can feed her pellets for one meal and some frozen foods, just a small bit, for her other meal.

Tags
digestive, loosing color, not eating