Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #1 
TinaMaxis

What do I need to do if I want a sorority?

Right now I've got a ten gallon tank with one female Betta inside. I think I want a sorority, but is there anything I need to do or know before I decide to do this? How much more work is it than what I'm currently doing? Will I have to clean the tank more often(I do it once a week now, I try to do about a quarter water change, but it is usually more because I vacuum the gravel, too) I still don't have a heater for my tank, so I won't get any more fish until I do, that's the only thing that I need. I also want to get some live plants(Anacharis and water sprite), but I'm probably not going to put those in the gravel and rather let them float about the tank. One of my concerns about adding fish to this tank is that I've got a pretty big tree-cave decoration, does it matter? Will there still be enough room for a sorority of about five(or should I do four?)?

I remember someone told me that I should remove my betta before adding in some more and reorganize the tank so she doesn't feel like it's her territory being invaded when I put in my other fish. But I can't do that because my decoration only fits on one side(but if it's necessary, I guess I could switch the filter and the decoration so they'll just be on the opposite sides from where they are now).

What else do I need to know/do for this? I also have a betta log, so it isn't just that one thing, should I get any more decorations or anything? Once I get the four fish, do I introduce them to the tank all at once?

Thanks!!

Edit: This is what my tank looks like, is there any reason to worry about the decoration taking away from the amount of fish I can have?

Last edited by TinaMaxis; 07-27-2011 at 12:29 AM.
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

First, I want that tree trunk! BAD!

Second, in my limited knowledge on female bettas, I do know you need lots and lots of hiding places for them. Cups, terra cotta pots (with the bottom taken out) and plants. LOTS of plants. You shouldn't have to do more water changes. I have 22 fish in my 29g and I only change 30% once a week. I have 3 fish in a 10g and I only change 30% once a week.

I have no idea about the tree, can they go in/under it? If so, that would help with space.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #3 
TinaMaxis

Yea, she goes in and out of it all the time, and in the back there are some other holes for her to go through, so then it's ok? I don't think that she can go in from the main hole and come out any other way, though. :S I think it's just that one opening to actually go inside. I plan to get more plants, for sure, but not hiding ones..live ones that float, but I do have two plastic ones that I stopped using, but I can just put them in again, or buy some small caves or something for them to hide. :)

Also, I got the tree from Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3202488
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 
TinaMaxis

Also, does it matter what types of Betta's will be in the sorority? Like the tails and stuff? Because my current Betta, Mystique, is a veiltail, should I only get other veiltails or is that not important?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

I don't have a petsmart here :(

With female Bettas, they need places to hide and territory to claim. Plants are a must, more planted than floating. See with females, there is a chain of command. There will be an alfa, and second in line, third in line and so on. You need to be able to shield the lower in line females from the alpha. Planted plants will lessen the aggression in the tank. Wide open tanks lead to the lower females being easy prey :)

Now I'm going to sulk over that tree lol I would say 4 would do good in your tank with the decoration, 5 would do better if it was something smaller. But that's just what I would do personally, you should do what your comfortable with :)

And I have read that you should take your female out for a few days, rearrange the tank and then add your bettas. HOW to add them, I am unsure. Like I said, this is just what I read on the forum :)
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMaxis View Post
Also, does it matter what types of Betta's will be in the sorority? Like the tails and stuff? Because my current Betta, Mystique, is a veiltail, should I only get other veiltails or is that not important?
All I know is each female will have her own personality, and it depends on the individual fish. I have no idea about tails. I do know lots on here have mixed tails in sororities though!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 
TinaMaxis

Thanks! :)

So I tried moving stuff around in my tank:

If I put the big tree decoration in the middle then I can put some plants on its right side where the filter can't suck in and destroy my planted plants(because that's what it did with my previous ones), and I can probably fit a small decoration on that side, and some other cave type thing on the left. Perfect! :D

Also, it feels very right that whoever is top dog should keep the mansion-type giant tree for its home and then have like, little lesser fishies of the sorority stay by the caves and plants below it. Oh, what fun stories I'll make up for them! :P

Oh, and maybe you can order the tree online and have it sent to you?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

I could never afford duty fees and shipping on something that big. May end up costing me about $60 by the time it's in my hands, if FedEx doesn't charge me $80 to bring it across the boarder lol

You would always put an aquarium sponge on the intact of your filter, lessens the suction :)
Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #9 
TinaMaxis

Oh..I.. don't even know what that is. >< Is it this?
http://www.petco.com/product/13797/H...es_FilterMedia
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

Hah! I actually have two brand new Elite Minis in front of me, had to figure out how to open them and check! Yes, that's the stuff! You can put those right over the bottom of the tube :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-27-2011 at 01:40 AM.