Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Maggie, dont mess with pH stuff. Its more harmful than good for your fish, it really is. Theyre fine.

Only use IAL or similar to correct the pH issues, no pH up or down, the shock can kill the fish.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Maggie, dont mess with pH stuff. Its more harmful than good for your fish, it really is. Theyre fine.

Only use IAL or similar to correct the pH issues, no pH up or down, the shock can kill the fish.
^^ Very true. A constant pH is safer than altering pH. Your tank could be going up and down with additives. I have high pH and once my fish are used to it, they are fine.

Although now I'm kinda worried about the CT I am going to adopt.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #13 
PewPewPew

Just because of the rays curling? Nah. It doesnt bother them at all, not in the least bit.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Just because of the rays curling? Nah. It doesnt bother them at all, not in the least bit.
Yes, I figured the rays curling would be stress from the water? Or is it just how fins react when surrounded by high pH? I don't want to adopt someones pet only to torture it LOL But if it will only cause a cosmetic difference, I can live with that as long as he's not effected.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #15 
PewPewPew

Just cosmetic :) Similar (but not really, LOLOL!) to your hair on a damp/humid day, gets all curly and whatnot, frizzy.

IAL or dried, clean oak leaves work dandy :)
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #16 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Just cosmetic :) Similar (but not really, LOLOL!) to your hair on a damp/humid day, gets all curly and whatnot, frizzy.

IAL or dried, clean oak leaves work dandy :)
And their also expensive as heck to get to where I live! haha I have a few IAL teabags, but my fish went all wonky when I used them. I lost my two Betta boys shortly after. I've kinda been burnt by the IAL, will take me some time to trust them again.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #17 
nel3

Quote:
For vts, its probably a healed injury that curled. Over time, it may unfurl.
The rays on the CT's are so prone because theres so many, but the vt's, while you can get curling, of course, is usually just a wonky ray, healed injury, or just a derp fin.

No, no real tricks or anything. Theyre prone to SBD, but that can be warded off just by pre-soaking pellets and giving a "rest/fast" day of no food in the week.

Thats it, really. I have a HMDBT and the bf has a DBT, and theyre just normal fish.

One thing that's neat, though.. The gene that makes them have two tails (mirrored tail) makes their anal fin match their dorsal, which is why its soooo long! (Ever noticed that?)
My Dbt's is giant, just as long as his anal fin, thanks to the mirroring gene :D
thank you Pewpewpew. i'll keep an eye on the dorsal and hope it uncurls. looks like fealing with DTs wont be too hard after all :).

ive noticed they have long symetrical tails. thats probably one of the appeals i have for DT, other tail types are equally nice.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #18 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Anyway, are they harder to care for at all? What is your favorite? What types have you had/have?
I've had all 3 and its pretty much the same. Personally, I dislike CT's. They remind me of spiders with all their points.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #19 
MaggieLynn

Well so far i have had no problem with my boys, i did just do a partial water change yesterday because i forgot to do a full, usually the ph is pretty neutral. I am out of test strips though so i need to get those, im always looking for an excuse to go to petco
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #20 
Neil D

Get the API Liquid Master Test Kit, it's more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run, and more accurate.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote