Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #2001 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
I thought about that too. There's one plastic plant I've been slightly worried about, but I would think if he snagged a fin on it, it would have ripped it. There's no damage anywhere but the tips. And even they don't really look damaged, just... shorter.

I'll try to get some pictures when I change his water today. Thanks for the suggestions!
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #2002 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
CT's rays do not curl because of poor water. The water can cause them to curl because of the hardness or ph (i forget which, lol)..If you dont want them to curl, use Indian almond leaves to change the pH. Its only for looks, though, and wouldnt break them off or anything.

It might be tailbiting. Remove anything that you're suspicious of. Do an extra bit of water changing for a while, to ward off infection. Your change schedule is fine the way it is for normal living.

CT's dont tailbite like other fish might...But it doesnt mean they cant, I guess.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #2003 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
is there a certain PH range for VTs? my betta has curled a pectoral and its not from any finrot or biting. i have 7.4 ph in the water, i have IAL teabags to lower the ph if needed.

sorry Pewpewpew, nevermind this post. i missed noticing the reply in CT tail care.

Last edited by nel3; 07-27-2011 at 02:01 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #2004 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
CT's rays do not curl because of poor water. The water can cause them to curl because of the hardness or ph (i forget which, lol)..If you dont want them to curl, use Indian almond leaves to change the pH. Its only for looks, though, and wouldnt break them off or anything.

It might be tailbiting. Remove anything that you're suspicious of. Do an extra bit of water changing for a while, to ward off infection. Your change schedule is fine the way it is for normal living.

CT's dont tailbite like other fish might...But it doesnt mean they cant, I guess.
That's good to know. I've been meaning to get a kit so I could test the ph and such anyway, so I'll definitely do that, and see if I can find some almond leaves.

I'll take out that one plant just to be sure, and do that extra water change for a bit. Is there anything else I can/should do to help his fins regrow? The water conditioner I'm using is also supposed to help repair fin damage, so should I just stick with that?

Thanks for your help!
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #2005 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
does anyone have suggestions for hidey holes for a 2.5g tank? its 10 1/2 wide and 8.5' tall, 6-7' from front to back. i saw a t-rex skull that looks promising but its a bit course for its surface. theres also an aligator head which is much smoother. the tank theme is atlantis/ underwater ruins. saw collumn ruins wall (blue ribbon pet) but its 1 inch too long for the tank. there's a mayan jaguar mask but its also a bit coarse on the surface. the only thing from stopping me from getting a t-rex skull or mayan jaguar mask is the coarse surface. dont know if it'll damage betta fins/scales. the jaguar mask does have some rough edges for holes but i can fix that if needed.

Last edited by nel3; 07-27-2011 at 07:49 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #2006 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmagician View Post
That's good to know. I've been meaning to get a kit so I could test the ph and such anyway, so I'll definitely do that, and see if I can find some almond leaves.

I'll take out that one plant just to be sure, and do that extra water change for a bit. Is there anything else I can/should do to help his fins regrow? The water conditioner I'm using is also supposed to help repair fin damage, so should I just stick with that?

Thanks for your help!
It claims to? Huh. Whats it called?

For now, just make sure his tank is extra clean. Kick up an extra partial water change in the week for a week or so for good measure. If you see any redness, more fin loss, etc, begin treating with 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
does anyone have suggestions for hidey holes for a 2.5g tank? its 10 1/2 wide and 8.5' tall, 6-7' from front to back. i saw a t-rex skull that looks promising but its a bit course for its surface. theres also an aligator head which is much smoother. the tank theme is atlantis/ underwater ruins. saw collumn ruins wall (blue ribbon pet) but its 1 inch too long for the tank. there's a mayan jaguar mask but its also a bit coarse on the surface. the only thing from stopping me from getting a t-rex skull or mayan jaguar mask is the coarse surface. dont know if it'll damage betta fins/scales. the jaguar mask does have some rough edges for holes but i can fix that if needed.
It probably wouldnt damage the scales, nah. If it hurts and for whatever reason they think "Hey, this looks good to grind my face on", theyd probably stop.
What about these?
http://www.petco.com/product/10543/P...Ornaments.aspx
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #2007 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post

It probably wouldnt damage the scales, nah. If it hurts and for whatever reason they think "Hey, this looks good to grind my face on", theyd probably stop.
What about these?
http://www.petco.com/product/10543/P...Ornaments.aspx
thank you, i think i did see them in the lps i went to yesterday. dont remeber the price though. do you think a trex/crocodile skull would be out of place in that theme? i would to see it "eaten" once in a while. the trex is $7 and the croc is $15 but its a smooth ornament.

i have a gravel cleaning question also. whats the difference between a gravel cleaner (agitation type) and a gravel vac. i'll need one of then if i am to root some anacharis in the gravel.

Last edited by nel3; 07-28-2011 at 01:35 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #2008 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I use a siphon in my planted tanks. Gravel vacs (with the vacuum heads) are too wide and bonk into things, which gets annoying. With the siphon, I just pfwup, do what I need to, and its finished.

Ive never seen an agitation type... would you have a link to one? :o

I dont think it would be too out of theme. Think of it less of atlantis or whatever, and maybe more of ancient ruins-- anything old goes! :D

Both sound a decent price. I would pay over $20, IMO, but those are reasonable.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #2009 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I use a siphon in my planted tanks. Gravel vacs (with the vacuum heads) are too wide and bonk into things, which gets annoying. With the siphon, I just pfwup, do what I need to, and its finished.

Ive never seen an agitation type... would you have a link to one? :o

I dont think it would be too out of theme. Think of it less of atlantis or whatever, and maybe more of ancient ruins-- anything old goes! :D

Both sound a decent price. I would pay over $20, IMO, but those are reasonable.
thank you, its a gravel siphon im talking about. wasnt too sure how it works. though it has a 1 way valve just before the hose that leads out of it.

i'll drop by the LPS again for those castles today.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #2010 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It claims to? Huh. Whats it called?

For now, just make sure his tank is extra clean. Kick up an extra partial water change in the week for a week or so for good measure. If you see any redness, more fin loss, etc, begin treating with 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt.
It's called Start Right, and the brand is Jungle. I got it at Walmart. It has aloe, and it says it promotes healing of wounds and infections and "aids in replacing the natural mucous slime coating on the skin and fins..."

I threw in an extra water change yesterday and took out the one slightly rough plant. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on him. Hopefully it won't get any worse...

And just for the record, I have a thread with pictures here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76153
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 02:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.