Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #11 
TinaMaxis

Ok, thanks! Do I need the filter sponge specific to my filter's brand?

So here's my list of things I need before I get four other Betta's:
Anacharis and Water Sprite plants(will probably get another kind as well)
Aquarium Sponge
Heater
Two more hiding spot decorations
Mesh wire to cover the top of my tank

Another question, though. Should I wait to rearrange my tank and add the other decorations until I actually get the other fish?
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Yes. You want no fish in the tank, change it all up on the inside and then add the fish in. You'll have to ask again on how to add the fish into the tank, I don't know since I've never had to do it LOL But I do know you want to make it all brand new for everyone, so no one has an adcantage over the other. If you left your female in there and she knew the whole tank, it would be trouble. There may be another fish that is alpha in your new girls, and they would fight. So yes, make sure there are no fish in there when you rearrange it. I would leave you female in there until a day or two before you get your new ones.

Doesn't really matter what sponge you get, as long as it's thick enough to slow down the intake. You can buy cubes of aquarium sponge at the pet store, and cut a hole in the middle (like an X) and slide it on.

Like this:

Before-
http://www.fishyreview.com/img/fryta...k010_large.jpg

After-
http://www.fishyreview.com/img/fryta...k011_large.jpg

And you'll want enough hiding spaces for everyone, plus 1 :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-27-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #13 
TinaMaxis

Oh ok, thanks! So I won't get any plants or decorations until the day I get the sorority fish.

If I should take out my fish for a day or two before getting the other fish, all I have to keep her in is a one gallon bowl, and I can't put my filter in that, so is it ok if she lives in a bowl with no filter or heater or anything for a day or two?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Yes, as long as it doesn't get cold or anything in your place. She should do fine. I'm in Atlantic Canada and my boys were in 1g with no heat or filter while being treated.

You can buy the decorations and plants whenever, just make sure that when you intro the sorority to the tank, to put the plants and decorations in different spots than they were before :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #15 
TinaMaxis

Thanks! I'll do all that. Now all I need is for someone to tell me how to introduce all the fish into the tank once I get started on all of this. You've been so much help, Pitluvs, thank you!
Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #16 
bettaloverforever16

At the store I would put all the females you plan on buying in a circle, and see how they react to eachother. Once you find ones that seem OK with eachother, bring them home. At home put ALL females in dif floatable containers and let them get adjusted to the wter. After about 15 mins let 1 female out every 5-10 mins untill all females are in the tank. Make sure you start with putting the smallest female in first though. Hope this helped!
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #17 
Kytkattin

And seriously plant it like crazy! The more hiding spots the better. When you think you have enough hiding spots, add 2 more! Hiding spots are the key to success with a sorority. Without them your fish will be more stressed and suffer a shorter lifespan because of it. Floating plants and the betta log you mentioned are great too so they are not all visible to each other when they surface for air. Good luck!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #18 
TinaMaxis

Oh, man. I love the idea of having my tank ridiculously filled with plants! I think I'm going to get my sorority going sometimes within the next two weeks or so, maybe this weekend if I can't wait, well, no, probably sometime next week.

I'm just hoping I know enough about this. I should expect some fighting from the fish when they're all in there, right? How much is normal and when do I send them back to their little cups for a time out? Can I take the ones that are too aggressive back to the store(I'll probably get my fish from Petco)? I'm probably going to get a heater tomorrow, but no plants or decorations until the day I get my fish, because I can't change or add anything until then. And I have to keep my Mystique away from her tank for two days or so before I get my other girls, right? I'm so worried someone's going to get hurt or die. I have to watch the tank non-stop for a while. Actually, when is it ok to stop? Like say, if it's been a week and none of my sorority fish are dead, can I call it a success? Is it then ok to relax and assume my fish have sorted out their places in the tank and won't fight to the death? Or is that a constant risk?

Any advice from people with sororities? Any information I might have missed?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #19 
thePWNISHER

I think it would be to your best advantage and less strain on your wallet if you got the plants bought, QT, settled and adjusted to your tank, that way you wont buy them, stick them in with the fish within the same week and have them just wilt and die. Just a suggestion. Patience will save heartache and a broke wallet in the fish world. unless you plan on QT the girls in a circle for 3 weeks on your kitchen counter I am not sure what else hasn't been said for ya.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #20 
kera236

Introducing them you're suppose to put the least aggressive in the tank first and the most aggressive last (:

Good luck!
kera236 is offline   Reply With Quote