Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #1 
NCBetta

Swim Bladder

In the guide I read that peas are NOT used to treat this?

I was wondering about epsom salt treatments too, would i just pour it in the water with my fish still in the tank? Or remove the fish then add and stir?
NCBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #2 
Sakura8

You can use peas to treat constipation, which sometimes causes swimbladder problems. If you use pea, use NON-SALTED pea, blanch it well, and feed a piece from the inside of the pea, absolutely no larger than one of his pellets (I mean, tiny tiny piece). Peas have fiber so they are sometimes effective at encouraging a betta to poo.

Can you describe your betta's swimbladder problems? If he is "sinky" and having trouble reaching the surface for air, you may want to lower the water level to about 2-3 inches so he can reach the surface easier.

Also, with epsom salt, the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon. Mix it up in a separate container and let the salt dissolve, then pour it into your betta's tank. You can leave the betta in there while you pour, just be sure to pour at the opposite end of the tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I say not to use peas in the guide because 1. Epsom Salt is more effective and less intrusive and 2. Peas can harm the digestive system. You can use them as Sakura directed, just make sure the pieces are really small. Only give one piece. IMO frozen daphnia is a better choice since it is high in fiber and it is is part of their normal diet. Bettas are carnivores so peas are not part of their natural diet. Peas are perfectly ok for most other tropical fish since most tropical fish are omnivorous.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #4 
betta07

Could someone help me please?

I'm really new with owning a fish and I am at a total loss as to what to do. My betta has been floating at the top of the tank and wont eat. He still swims around but just near the top on his side.

I've tried epsom salt and I've tried to feed him peas. But epsom didn't seem to work and seeing as he wont eat trying to feed him some peas does not help.

Could someone PLEASE help?
betta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #5 
NCBetta

My fish is not rearlly full out floating it's just when he swims to the bottom of the tank it looks like he's struggling, then he gradually floats back. He doesn't seem like he's got a bad case of SBD but I think it's definitely there.

I've been fasting him for a couple of days now and it seems to be working.

PS I've been feeding him Betta flakes, should I change up his food?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I agree with DarkMoon, epsom salt is waaay more effective than peas. Peas are only a last resort, sorry I should have mentioned that. If you can find it, frozen daphnia is much better. Daphnia is known for its "cleansing" properties in fish.

If you'd like, you should switch to pellets, they're much easier to feed and won't cloud the water. Good brands are Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets, and Top-Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits at Petsmart.

Betta07, I sent you a PM so when you reply back with the needed info, I can help you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

NCBetta & Betta07, you can use up to 3tsp/gal Epsom Salt if the SBD won't go away.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
betta07

I already tried that but did not work... is there a certain amount of time that i need to leave him in there for or how many times i need to do it?

I also forgot to mention that he has been like this for over a week and has not been eating anything at all.

He also has not gone to the bathroom in over a week.
betta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #9 
NCBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If you'd like, you should switch to pellets, they're much easier to feed and won't cloud the water. Good brands are Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets, and Top-Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits at Petsmart.
Do the color enhancing pellets actually do as the name says? Or is it more of a gimmick haha

I was seriously considering switching over to pellets and then including some frozen or live food as well, the flakes seem to be ok and my fish like them it just seems like the other route is a better option. I read on the site that a balanced diet is important.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

NCBetta- I actually avoid pellets that claim "color enhancing" abilities since I want a healthy betta with a balanced diet, I don't want their food to be packed with "color enhancers". New Life Spectrum and Omega are probably the top commercially available brands. If you want bright colors, go through with feeding them frozen/live foods since those are the absolute best things you can offer.

Betta07- How about you start a new thread in the disease section and fill out the form at the top of the disease section so we can help you and your betta :)