Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #1 
ashlyn1992

tips?

Hey all, my name is Ashlyn and i have been a betta hobbyist for about 5 years now. I have a few questions that im hoping you guys can help me with. I recently transistioned from a 2.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank after the loss of my last fish, the tank is new/clean. Now generally speaking when i had the 2.5 gallon tank i waited 2-3 weeks for the tank to cycle, does the same time apply to the 10 gallon or should i wait a little longer?

Secondly, I am planning on getting a King Betta (the odd new breed that Petco has, neat looking fish) as soon as my tank cycles but he is going to need a few tank mates. I need a bottom feeder and an algea eater (i have only had a cory cat in the past because my tank was so small), hoepfully one that is hearty and not so easily stressed out due to changes in the water, although i try my best to keep the water parameters as balanced as i can, im sure you guys know sometimes things just get a little crazy. any suggestions for those types of fish?

Last, since it is a 10 gallon tank, i believe that i can put another tank mate in there, what breed would be compatible with this type of betta? from waht i hear they are a less agressive breed than the smaller bettas.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and help me out.
ashlyn1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the Forum.....

I have a few questions so we can help you better.....what kind of filter on the 10gal, do you have a test kit, if so what kind, no worries if you don't have one since most pet shops will test your water for free, do you plan a fish-in cycle or fishless cycle, any live plants, type of additives you plan to use...like dechlorinator unless you are well water or RO water...

Stocking for a 10g with a King Betta....shoal of corydoras for the bottom, the tanks isn't really big enough for algae eaters...need at least 20gal for either BN pleco or a shoal of otos....other species...I would go to the pet shop and look at what you like and write the name down and then research to make sure you can meet their needs in a 10gal tank.....

Look forward to pics once you get the tank setup.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #3 
ashlyn1992

Filter: Tetra whisper filter system (10 gal)
Test kit: yes its the 5-in-1 test strip
Cycle: Im planning on a fish in (which fish should i get first??) but i am willing to do a fishless if it would be better
Plants: all fake, no luck with live due to hard water (i assume)
Additives: Aquasafe, easy balance (if needed) and pH balancer (if needed)

**Corys** how many should i get, from what i heard they need to be in groups of 3+ is this true?

Last edited by ashlyn1992; 07-28-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #4 
ashlyn1992

heres the tank, a new Betta hiding place is going to be added in tomorrow
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Your tank looks great...I like what you did.....
I like the fish in cycle and as long as you make the needed water changes it can be safe...the key being...proper water changes....in a 10gal I would make twice weekly 50% until the nitrogen cycle has established and that can take 4-8 weeks......

Don't change the pH...a stable pH is safer and fish will adapt to the source water pH without any problems....

I would add the Betta and corydoras....3-5 and make 1-50% weekly with vacuum and then make a second 50% water only based on ammonia, nitrite of 0.25ppm or greater until you have nitrate of 10ppm...once you have a steady nitrate reading without any ammonia, nitrite spikes...you are most likely cycled....and you can maintain water quality with 1-50% weekly with vacuum.....

Usually failure with live plants is due to the wrong kind of lights...I have really hard water and most plants like hard water anyway......proper lights don't have to cost a lot of money either.....I buy the $6.00 2 pin flourecent light bulb in the lighting dept...GE brand daylight 6500k and change them out every 6mo-1yr on a 12h/day photoperiod.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 
ashlyn1992

awesome thanks for the help, i got my betta and corys today, unfortunatly they didnt have any more king bettas, but i did get a beautiful blue, black, and red crowntail male, along with 2 albino corys and a pepper cory, after they settle in i plan on getting a panda cory (maybe 2 if they look healthy) ill post some pictures of the new betta once he settles in and i can get a good pic, again thanks so much for the help