Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 AM   #1 
yossarian

growing slowly

hello my fry are over 2 1/2 months and they are still under 1 inch. they all show colour and have all survived (100ish). I was worried that they could all be female or stunted. I didnt use a filter until a month or so in. thanks, the biggest is about 20mm (ish).
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the successful spawn....can you post a pic....

Have a few questions...

How big is the grow out aquarium, how much and how often are the water changes, type of filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite....what type and amount of food did you start them out with and what are you feeding them now......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
yossarian

How big is the grow out aquarium, how much and how often are the water changes, type of filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite....what type and amount of food did you start them out with and what are you feeding them now......

thanks.. ok
12g long. I water change 25%-50% weekly, usually 50. stuffed full of elodea which is an easy grow water weed. 28 degrees. no additives, appetite ravenous, they would eat until they exploded.

they came from humble beginings, a 5 gallon bowl. they began on whatever they began on (i kept the algae growing like crazy and this brought little friends, i guess, or egg sacks??. After 2 days and a bit more wriggly, i fed bbs. they only eat bbs, ive tried supplimenting this peachy diet with dusted dry food but they spit anything that isnt peach and squirming. still feeding bbs. ive always fed about 2-3 times a day except when the f-ing shrimps failed.

I have been using indian almond leaves but have stopped after got the filter, which is an external up to 30gallon.

i think your going to tell me to get a bigger tank and do more water changes but to answer that: no and not yet; i dont have time, and i have other babies for about a month. thanks so much for helping. m

ps no camera sorry

Last edited by yossarian; 07-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
i think your going to tell me to get a bigger tank and do more water changes but to answer that: no and not yet; i dont have time, and i have other babies for about a month. thanks so much for helping. m

ps no camera sorry
In that case......not a lot you can do to get them to grow-out better......too small space with lots of stunting hormone along with poor water quality and poor nutrition.....can't help you out.......especially when you don't want or plan to change it......good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #5 
Jirothebetta

Well, for fry to grow properly the only option is clean, warm(80*) water, and good varied live foods. I know for awhile my little fry lucky was pretty stunted(he was about a month or two and I was still looking at him through a magnifying glass) then I moved him to a smaller, easier to handle container, I put one floating live plant in there, put his container in a room that stayed warm and muggy(the bathroom) and started doing 75% water changes with a syphon very frequently during the week, I also started giving him tiny misquito larva along with his bbs. It took about a week after this, but the change gave him an amazing growth spurt. He went from being only a couple cm to being about half and inch long! So I know, good food, warm water, and frequent water changes make a big difference in their growth...its the only option...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 
bettaloverforever16

28 degrees?! I'm not suprised there. You shouldn't have bred if you weren't gonig to take proper care of them anyway.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I'm thinking Jiro means 28 degrees celsius, which equals 82 farenheit. Unless her fry have turned to popsticles. I hate trying to convert since we use celsius here.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 
bettaloverforever16

Oh, I feels stupid XD
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

+1 to OFL
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Yeah... pretty much agree with OFL.. unless you upgrade or cull you're not going to see much more growth.. especially with that many fish in only a 12 gallon.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote