Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #1 
WolfLinket

Could Spencer be sicker then I think?

Now I admit it.
I was a stupid owner. Before I used to love my Betta to bits and would never neglect him.
But lately. That's been a lie. For a few weeks I've left his tank unattended causing it to become rather dirty.
As anyone could expect he became a bit sickly. Small holes popped up in his fins, turning a little bit inactive.
Though I've left him in this condition before, lately he's been taking it worse then ever.
I cleaned his tank today, added everything I needed to.
And yet he lies at the bottom of his tank and doesn't move unless he needs to go and eat or take a breath of air.
I'm unsure of what to do. I noticed he's got large holes in his fins, but I'm more worried about him being inactive.

I fully regret neglecting him...What's wrong with him; is it Swim Bladder?

Last edited by WolfLinket; 08-01-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Small grammar error
WolfLinket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Sounds like the ammonia got to him, he may have a mild bacteria infection. Is he still eating? How big is his tank? If it's larger than a gallon, put him in a small QT container with a lowered water level so he can reach the surface easy to breathe. If he is eating, you can treat him with Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If he is not eating, treat him with Maracyn-II. Also, try and keep him warm.

Last edited by Sakura8; 08-01-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #3 
WolfLinket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sounds like the ammonia got to him, he may have a mild bacteria infection. Is he still eating? How big is his tank? If it's larger than a gallon, put him in a small QT container with a lowered water level so he can reach the surface easy to breathe. If he is eating, you can treat him with Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If he is not eating, treat him with Maracyn-II. Also, try and keep him warm.
Thank you for responding.
His tank is about 5 gallons. And I haven't been feeding him, in fear that he may have Swim Bladder.
I'll make sure to do everything you've listed for me to do.
Thank you so much for your advice I truely appreicate it.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Is he bloated at all? I hope the Maracyn helps him in time.

SBD usually is when they can't swim up or can't swim down or swim sideways/upside down. Sometimes it's easy to mistake lethargy for SBD, if the fish is just laying there on the bottom of the tank but with true SBD they literally can't control their swim bladder. If he is bloated, that might explain any SBD problems because the enlarged organs will press against the swim bladder.

Also, while he is in the smaller QT container, you'll need to do daily water changes. If you treat him with Maracyn, it's easiest to do it this way:
Get a big jug that can hold 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Mix the Maracyn in that and shake it well. Use 1/2 cup of this medicine mixture per gallon of his QT container. Save the rest of the medicine mixture for the daily water changes. After you change the water every day, just redose the medicine. The mixture should stay good for two days, then you'll need to mix up more.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 
WolfLinket

Quote:
You're welcome. Is he bloated at all? I hope the Maracyn helps him in time.

SBD usually is when they can't swim up or can't swim down or swim sideways/upside down. Sometimes it's easy to mistake lethargy for SBD, if the fish is just laying there on the bottom of the tank but with true SBD they literally can't control their swim bladder. If he is bloated, that might explain any SBD problems because the enlarged organs will press against the swim bladder.

Also, while he is in the smaller QT container, you'll need to do daily water changes. If you treat him with Maracyn, it's easiest to do it this way:
Get a big jug that can hold 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Mix the Maracyn in that and shake it well. Use 1/2 cup of this medicine mixture per gallon of his QT container. Save the rest of the medicine mixture for the daily water changes. After you change the water every day, just redose the medicine. The mixture should stay good for two days, then you'll need to mix up more.

Hope that helps!
Not really, he seems to be looking fine.

I'll make sure to get this medicine as soon as possible and follow your instrutions.
Once again thank you for the advice. :)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm glad Spencer isn't bloated, that's a good sign. And I'm happy to help. Keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 
WolfLinket

Quote:
I'm glad Spencer isn't bloated, that's a good sign. And I'm happy to help. Keep us posted.
Alright then!
Also, shoud I continue trying to feed him?
When he became sick, I began to feed him less, like just a pellet a day since I didn't think it was a good idea to feed him a lot, while he is sick.
So what medicine would you recommand now...?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #8 
Sakura8

If Spencer is willing to eat, then you can try feeding him a pellet per meal, three times a day. Another thing that will help him is to get a variety of frozen foods: bloodworms and brine shrimp are great.

If Spencer is eating and isn't bloated, it might be best to hold off on medications for the moment. Can you describe his swimming for me?