Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #2061 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
You resisted?!? I wouldve snatched him.

I'm not sure of the test kit, but I know that one of the bottles is corrosive...
call me stubborn but i just fall in love with light green bettas. no doubt the white betta was beautiful but i dont have a desire to keep 3 bettas. the only exception of 2 fish maximum is finding another light green marbled locally. that's what seems to be the only thing stopping me from buying +20 bettas. theres also the fact i dont have much room for more tanks if needed.

thank you, what im really looking for is a salicylate based test for ammonium.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #2062 
Neil D

Sometimes ammonia tests will test for ammonium, but don't rely on that...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2063 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Sometimes ammonia tests will test for ammonium, but don't rely on that...
thank you NeilD. a member here did mention one test kit availble. seachem multitest ammonia (free and total), it looks worth it to look into.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...T_Ammonia.html

by any chance do the 2 API ammonia bottles correspond to NH3 and 4 seperately? they say to mix the 2 (which i do) but can it mean bottle 1 might be for nh3 and 2 for nh4?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #2064 
Shimizoki

I doubt it... I would think its most likely that the two chemicals react with each other in the presence of ammonia to change color. Therefore they need to be kept separate. Not because they check for different things.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #2065 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I doubt it... I would think its most likely that the two chemicals react with each other in the presence of ammonia to change color. Therefore they need to be kept separate. Not because they check for different things.
thank you Shimizoki. looks like i'll need to find out if API has one to start with.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #2066 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
does the API liquid master kit have a salicylate test for ammonia?

@Pew3: i saw the white dragonscale at petsmart, it was pretty damn tempting but i resisted. i found a perfect set of greek ruins for my 2.5g right away.
*sobs* My favorriite! Im surprised hes there still, even after a few weeks. They keep em good there, dont they?! I constantly compliment them for it and buy exclusivity from them (as do a bunch of my friends, who do the same), so theyre beginning to see they have a large betta audience who will buy and support more when they take care of the fish :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #2067 
fishcurl

Yet another cycling question - can a 2.5 gallon with filter etc. etc. be cycled? The 3 gallon I want seems to be hard to come by :(
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #2068 
PewPewPew

Yep, they can! But it gets a little harder. If you do it, seed from your 5 gallon (use some gravel, run the new filter media in with your 5's, etc) and use plants :)

Have you seen this tank?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

I have one, it works dandy. Cheap, too, youd pay the same for almost any 2.5-3 gallon. The filter is very strong and needs quite a baffle, but if you can baffle the hex, you can do anything :P
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #2069 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
*sobs* My favorriite! Im surprised hes there still, even after a few weeks. They keep em good there, dont they?! I constantly compliment them for it and buy exclusivity from them (as do a bunch of my friends, who do the same), so theyre beginning to see they have a large betta audience who will buy and support more when they take care of the fish :D
that petsmart seems to be pretty good with knowledgeble staff. their betta cups are pretty good despite the size. not a fan of blue water but the fish are alive. if i had an extra tank that was larger than .5g i probably wouldve got the white dragon. unfortunately i dont have any extra tanks so its still there waiting for you.

im a bit dissapointed in their live plant section, none truly aquatic. my anacharis is shedding like a dog lately and some are starting to die off after 3 weeks. got to wait for LPS to restock. their tank with with anacharis was emptied for some reason of plants. ive probably threw away 3 dead strands already.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #2070 
fishcurl

Does my husband know you're enabling me?

I was thinking the smaller tanks because I'd have more of a chance to convince him, hehe. I'm really only in the planning stages. I'd like to get Flambé's tank cycled first before I commit to another fishy friend.

I haven't seen that tank before, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote