Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #11 
NCPanthersgurl
Member
 
NCPanthersgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Check this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428&highlight=plants

It will help you with the live plant/fake plant decision. :) I think my sorority will be live plants, but I'm still deciding on that.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #12 
caitic10
Member
 
caitic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Your guppies should be fine. Just keep an eye out. If you see any nipping take them out for awhile.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #13 
JHernandez
New Member
 
JHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton FL
No picking they do fine. Just took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3V9X2HzX4
JHernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #14 
MaggieLynn
Member
 
MaggieLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
There is this floating log thing from zoo med you could get. I have been debating myself on getting this
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #15 
TequilatheBetta
Member
 
TequilatheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHernandez View Post
No picking they do fine. Just took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3V9X2HzX4
That's so cool :D They're so peaceful together!

Thanks everyone!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #16 
NCPanthersgurl
Member
 
NCPanthersgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Awesome vid :3
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #17 
kathstew
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
That video is lucky. The person got really lucky :/
You need to be prepared for a lot of fighting. Have aquarium salt, and epsom salt on hand, as well as some type of QT container. Once hierachy is created (which can take weeks to create!) fighting will be rare, but CAN AND WILL still happen.
Do A LOT of research before starting your sorority.
Will you have space to put any girls that don't work out in the sorority?
If the females are sisters, there is less chance of fighting.
You need to HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. I repeat, HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. They need places to hide, and get away from any fighting.
Here is my tank (since then I've added even MORE plants): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inL2VvQb-yw
Do you have experience with bettas before this? Sororities are not for beginners. I suggest owning a single betta for at least a few months before even considering a sorority. :/
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #18 
JHernandez
New Member
 
JHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
That video is lucky. The person got really lucky :/
You need to be prepared for a lot of fighting. Have aquarium salt, and epsom salt on hand, as well as some type of QT container. Once hierachy is created (which can take weeks to create!) fighting will be rare, but CAN AND WILL still happen.
Do A LOT of research before starting your sorority.
Will you have space to put any girls that don't work out in the sorority?
If the females are sisters, there is less chance of fighting.
You need to HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. I repeat, HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. They need places to hide, and get away from any fighting.
Here is my tank (since then I've added even MORE plants): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inL2VvQb-yw
Do you have experience with bettas before this? Sororities are not for beginners. I suggest owning a single betta for at least a few months before even considering a sorority. :/



Looks like you have quite some current there. I only run my filter once a day every week and keep almond extract at healthy levels. Maybe that's why i get lucky ;)
JHernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #19 
flowerslegacy
Member
 
flowerslegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Bay, California
Betta sororities are tricky. They can be very peaceful for a long time and then suddenly turn. I tried a sorority and wasn't successful. All of my females, one by one, slowly took turns at being the alpha and after a while I couldn't take the carnage. After reading pages and pages of threads from this forum, the general consensus, from the most experienced betta keepers, was a sorority has about a 6 months life span. The best scenario is to get sisters from the same fry that were raised together. As Kathstew stated, please be prepared with enough cups and seperate homes for the girls you own. A long term successful sorority is a tough thing to accomplish. It's possible, just not common.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #20 
kathstew
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHernandez View Post
Looks like you have quite some current there. I only run my filter once a day every week and keep almond extract at healthy levels. Maybe that's why i get lucky ;)
Lol, i was gonna baffle the current, but they love it! They get mad if I turn it off :P They would sit underneath the filter, waiting for the current to start back up. They love sitting under it the current and getting a "massage".
I can't use almond extract, cause my sister and I have nut allergies :/
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Female Betta Sorority mxgalaxy Betta Pictures 4 08-06-2011 08:13 PM
Female Sorority Bettaman1995 Betta Fish Care 2 08-01-2011 09:05 PM
Giant Female Betta Sorority??? iheartmybettas Betta Pictures 2 04-16-2011 07:33 AM
Female Betta Sorority puppyrjjkm Betta Fish Care 4 08-15-2009 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.