Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #1 
audjree

Uncycled 25 Gallon Tank

here's another thread from me. haha sorry, i have so many questions.
this one doesn't really have to do with a tank with betta fish, but it is about cycling.

so, i have one male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. so far, things are great.
in my house, we also have a tank downstairs, it's about 25 or 26 gallons.
we've had it for about 5 years, it has a filter, rocks, shells, and plastic plants.

the first time my dad put fish in there, we had about 2 parrot cichlids, then after
a while, we added three more. there were also a couple serpae tetra fish and a couple
algae eaters. here they are:

that was back in december 2008. i believe we got them in 2006, and i think they died around the beginning of 2009.
so, three years is about an okay record, i believe. i think they died because we waited too long to change their water.

now, we have two parrot cichlids that we've had since 2009, and we just bought two more last week. we also have two plecostomus
right now. they're all happy, healthy, active, and love to eat, just like the ones before.
here's one of them from 2009:

my dad gives them about a 75% water change, maybe every two or three months.
this was how he always did it. and they seem fine. one time, he actually didn't have any
water conditioner on hand, and the new water wasn't treated for about a week, and
they're still fine.

i'm just wondering how they're fine, with few water changes, and an uncycle
d tank?
all my dad did when we first got it was fill it with water, add water conditioner, let the filter run for about two days, then added the fish.

the two fish that we've had since 2009, they even both were able to lay eggs!
we just weren't able to separate them since we don't have an extra tank, so they both
ate each other's eggs.

these fish seem happy and healthy, but the tank is uncycled. how are they okay? haha
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

They may seem ok, but it will catch up with them. The tank will cycle on it's own. If you've had it running for 3 years, it's definitely cycled. And I just looked online, I saw that parrot fish can live upwards of 15 years. So no, 3 years is NOT an ok record. Bettas live for 3-5 years, but other fish have different lifespans. Seeing that lifespan says to me that they were not cared for as they should be. Also, I just looked and the general minimum tank size is 42 gallons. So your tank is almost half the size it should be.

PLEASE start caring for your fish correctly. And PLEASE do research for ANY animal you have before you get it. If you had a dog that only lived 2 years, that is not a good record since medium sized dogs can live about 12 years. It's like that with anything.

If you have any other questions about other fish species (that aren't bettas) please go to http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ It is a sister site to this one. You can log in with your info for this site and there are many more subjects for forums. This is not the forum to ask about parrot fish.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

"Luck" and considering that life span of the Blood Parrot cichlid is about 10-15 years for this hybrid and yours lived...what 2-3 years......I wouldn't call it success......or healthy thriving fish.....I would call it neglect at best.....

Since this species already has several strikes against it to start being a hybrid with multi deformities and health problems....providing it with proper care is the only right thing to do.......its sad what some hobbyist will do to some fish for visual pleasure....(Not you) but the people that breed/create them and what they do to them to create that look-some is the crosses/breeding and some is surgical, injection of dye to name a few thing these poor fish are put through....its cruel and inhumane IMO and really sad what us humans will do sometimes.....

You should talk to your dad and try to get him to at least make more water changes and use dechlorinator........

Why are you saying the tank isn't cycled....if its filtered and has been running for at least 2 months it most likely has an established nitrogen cycle...but then again the chlorine/chloramine could have killed all the good bacteria too....what are the water pram numbers-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #4 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
then again the chlorine/chloramine could have killed all the good bacteria too....what are the water pram numbers-
If they don't have dechlor and do water changes every few months, I'm willing to bet they don't have an API Master kit laying around.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #5 
audjree

@smokenlark i also just found out that the tank should be at least 42 gallons and i've been
telling my dad, and he says that we'll get a new tank eventually. but i'm not sure when
"eventually" will be.

the only reason why my dad started caring for parrot fish is because my uncle has been
caring for them for a while and he told my dad. considering i was nine at the time when
we first got them, i had no knowledge of proper care for these fish. and my dad
isn't really known for doing research.

@OFL i also just found this year that these are hybrids and people do inject them with dye
just to make profit. we can't bring them back to the store after all this time, so we
continue to care for them the best we can. so far, our best isn't enough but i'll keep
bugging my dad about a new tank and more water changes.

i wasn't exactly sure what the process of cycling was, but apparently this tank is already
cycled. haha thanks for the info. but we do use dechlorinator, every time my dad does
a water change, it was just that one time we didn't have any, because we ran out.

Last edited by audjree; 08-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

One thing you CAN do right away is more water changes with a good water conditioner - Prime, IMO/E is the best on the market.

Since the tank is undersized for the fish, I would do 50% plus water changes twice a week - but, that's just me.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 
SmokeNLark

I agree, I'd at least tell him to do much more water changes than he's doing now. It's good that you are looking into it though to give them a better life. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

With an over stocked tank like that you need to be doing at least a weekly water change (50% or more). One change every few months is going to kill those fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #9 
audjree

yep, i'll be sure to keep telling him to do those water changes more often. i guess if he doesn't do them, then i guess i'll do them myself. thanks, guys.