Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should I redo Oscar's tank?
Yes 4 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #1 
Bettawolf19

redo tank?

So I'm seriously debating on redoing Oscar's tank which is a 5 gal hex. His nitrates seem to spike to much and are always high. However I do believe that means a recycle though I don't need to change the filter and the like just the gravel and water. Sighs. which mean Oscar will be stuck in a small tank like thing or his cup until it cycles. so is it a yes or no?
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I say yes. Oscar deserves only the best. Since it's filtered, you only have to do a mini-cycle. The filter will already be cycled, you just need to get some bacteria growing in the substrate and on the decor. You might experience a few ammonia spikes, though.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

When you change the gravel, put the old gravel in old tank water. Then put the gravel in some panty hose and put them in your tank for a week. The old gravel will populate your new gravel with good bacteria :) That's what I did when I switched to sand. I left mine in though, if I need to cycle a tank, I'll take the panty hose full of gravel out and put in the new tank LOL

I do this with decorations too, I add the decoration for a week, and then take an old one out. Take some time but at least your fish can live in there while you're doing it, as opposed to re cycling it.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #4 
Bettawolf19

@sakura
He does deserve nothing but the very best. Least ammonia seems to go away after awhile Nitrates jsut hover around -.-

@Pitluvs
Pity I have no decor in my tank other then live plants. Though I'm thinking of adding soil to the bottom for the plants.. Your directions kinda confused me not gonna lie. So I take out some gravel and some old tank water and put them in a container then tie panty hose full of the new gravel in there for a week or so? Keeping the rest of the gravel in the tank correct?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
@sakura
He does deserve nothing but the very best. Least ammonia seems to go away after awhile Nitrates jsut hover around -.-

@Pitluvs
Pity I have no decor in my tank other then live plants. Though I'm thinking of adding soil to the bottom for the plants.. Your directions kinda confused me not gonna lie. So I take out some gravel and some old tank water and put them in a container then tie panty hose full of the new gravel in there for a week or so? Keeping the rest of the gravel in the tank correct?
I swear it sounded better in my head!!

Put some old tank water in a bucket, put your old gravel in the bucket with the tank water (keeps the rock from drying up). When you're ready and your tank is done, put your old gravel in panty hose, tie it up, and put them in your tank with your new substrate. This will allow the bacteria on your old gravel to populate your new ?sand? Since your putting soil in, I suspect your using sand. I put sand in my tank, and when I did this, my numbers didn't change a lick with the water parameters .
Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #6 
Bettawolf19

Ok you make sense now :). I was thinking soil then maybe some sand then a light gravel cap.

How much gravel should I put in the panty hose? couple handfuls? Mind you my old gravel is very large well least twice the size of my new.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
Ok you make sense now :). I was thinking soil then maybe some sand then a light gravel cap.

How much gravel should I put in the panty hose? couple handfuls? Mind you my old gravel is very large well least twice the size of my new.
I put as much as I could stand being in my tank.. about a soft ball size and a baseball size. The more the better right? You can take it out eventually, just hide it behind some plants lol
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #8 
Bettawolf19

Yes I suppose lol not much room in that tank XD we shall see.

Tags
tank