Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #1 
corvinusvz

penicillin

So... been wondering...
I have seen in some sites that in a mild case of fin rot you can use melafix (is this ok? I don't really remember…) and in serious cases stuff like penicillin, tetracycline and ampicillin right? But I have never seen how much to dose or for how many days… anywhere!
somebody has a recommendation in this?

damn! if I was in the situation I would be scare to over dose D:

P.D.
I. can't. sleep... ):
corvinusvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Fin Rot can usually be healed pretty well with Aquarium Salt and clean water. Just QT him and use 1-2tsp/gal Aquarium Salt. Perform daily 100% water changes. Don't use the salt for more than 10 days. If you don't see any improvement after 5 days or so, then you can use Tetracycline as well, but don't rush to medications. Overuse of medications leads to drug resistance.

Never use Melafix with bettas or other labyrinth fish (e.g. gouramis). It contains a tree oil that harms their labyrinth organ.

Penicillin is 250mg/10gal. Repeat treatment every 24 hours for no more than 10 days. Perform daily 100% water changes between treatments. Ampicillin has the same treatment routine. Both Penicillin and Ampicillin have lost effectiveness over the years due to overuse. Many bacteria are resistant to them. Aquarium Salt should be all you need.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote