Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Hey, just a note. You might want to cut out the aquarium salt if you don't need. Long-term exposure builds up a resistance to the benefits of salt, plus it could damage the kidneys. All you need is a good water conditioner - I recommend API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime.

For a 2g unfiltered tank, you actually may want to do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100%. This will help keep the ammonia from building up and keep your bettas as happy and healthy as possible. If you make sure the temperature of the water you're putting in is close to the temp of the water you took out, you really don't need to worry about stressing the fish out. I have a guy in a small QT tank for fin damage and I change his water every day, he's perfectly fine with it. Another tip for not stressing the fish is to not do a 100% change per se but to actually only take out 95%, leaving just enough water on the bottom for the fish to stay in the tank. (The most stressful part for the fish would be constantly being netted and removed but if you leave him in the tank, he'll be fine).

Is the herbal mix called Atison's something something? Just curious.

I hope this helps you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #12 
casshyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hey, just a note. You might want to cut out the aquarium salt if you don't need. Long-term exposure builds up a resistance to the benefits of salt, plus it could damage the kidneys. All you need is a good water conditioner - I recommend API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime.

For a 2g unfiltered tank, you actually may want to do two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100%. This will help keep the ammonia from building up and keep your bettas as happy and healthy as possible. If you make sure the temperature of the water you're putting in is close to the temp of the water you took out, you really don't need to worry about stressing the fish out. I have a guy in a small QT tank for fin damage and I change his water every day, he's perfectly fine with it. Another tip for not stressing the fish is to not do a 100% change per se but to actually only take out 95%, leaving just enough water on the bottom for the fish to stay in the tank. (The most stressful part for the fish would be constantly being netted and removed but if you leave him in the tank, he'll be fine).

Is the herbal mix called Atison's something something? Just curious.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks, it really helps!
No it's not Atison's...i don't have the bottle with me at the moment so I can't remember what it's called exactly.
I also add those live bacteria that supposedly break down ammonia buildup...is that alright?
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #13 
cajunamy
Banned

Unless it's Tetra Safe Start, don't use it. It's normally the wrong sort of bacteria in those bottles, and they kill the type you do need so it would be very easy to crash the system. The best way to do it is the old fashioned way, or use Prime every day until your cycle is complete if you do a fish-in cycle.

I would do 2 50% changes in your tank a week if it's filtered, if it's not filtered, 90-100% every 3rd day should be sufficient, or 50% every other day may be ok.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Hmm, yeah, those biological starters tend to just mess with the tank cycle. I think they give false readings that make you think your tank is cycled but it's really not. And since you don't have a filter to cycle, you probably don't need to add those anyway. If you want to combat ammonia, use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner, it will convert ammonia into the less toxic ammonium. And it's super concentrated so a little goes a long way. Unlike other water conditioners, it's measured in drops, not mls.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #15 
bahamut285

For a 2 Gallon unfiltered tank, you won't get any readings for Nitrates at all :P... I recommend 2 or 3 50% water changes a week, and one 100% water change a week. So something like:

Tuesday: 50%
Thursday: 50%
Sunday: 100%

All you should need is:
- Tap water (test this first)
- Dechlorinator/Water Treatment --> we recommend SeaChem Prime (it's a white bottle with red label)

Anything else adding to your water is optional. If your tapwater is absolutely horrible then get SPRING water (not distilled).

If you have a water softener in your home, this may cause problems for the well being of your fish.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #16 
casshyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
For a 2 Gallon unfiltered tank, you won't get any readings for Nitrates at all :P... I recommend 2 or 3 50% water changes a week, and one 100% water change a week. So something like:

Tuesday: 50%
Thursday: 50%
Sunday: 100%

All you should need is:
- Tap water (test this first)
- Dechlorinator/Water Treatment --> we recommend SeaChem Prime (it's a white bottle with red label)

Anything else adding to your water is optional. If your tapwater is absolutely horrible then get SPRING water (not distilled).

If you have a water softener in your home, this may cause problems for the well being of your fish.
Thanks guys!
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #17 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Good luck!