Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #11 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstuf888 View Post
it is the plants for sure! i had the same problem with my betta and he has extremely long and wavy fins. by looking at your pictures it looks like you have the glow in the dark plants, am i right? i had the exact same plants and it tore his fins up. you should never get plants that look spiky; if you use fake plants i suggest plants that look like grass or something similar. as for the tail biting, i have never heard of this i don't think this is the cause of the problem. you should try the pantyhose test. rub your plant across the pantyhose. if it rips then you know it would rip your betta fins. i hope i helped!
Tail biting does indeed exist. Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean that it isn't real. It is very common among Halfmoons, Deltas, and Veils.
I do agree, however, on the pantyhose idea.

Covermeinclay- It does look like he snagged it and ripped it clean on the plant, but it also looks like he may have either fin rot or tailbiting at the ends of his tail.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 
CoverMeInClay

The plants in the picture now are the ones he has had and been fine with. The ones that i suspect he had been caught on were removed right away. I'm going to have him in quarantine as soon as I get home today. I did a 50% water change yesterday. I'll do the stocking test with the plants, but there is only one that I can think that could snag him. He's been swimming through those plants for weeks now with no mishaps.
1fish2fish, I didn't notice him swimming around like a little nut, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I didn't know they could do that from over exsertion. I'll see if I can get some more pictures.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote