Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #11 
caitic10

I would never recomend a sorority to someone who knew nothing about bettas, I told them to learn alot more first about bettas and even gave them some ideas of where to look for information. I hardly see that as bad advice.

A divided tank is a good idea, better then a sorority. Most fish and pet stores sell dividers meant for ten gallons.

Im sorry PewPewPew if you thought I gave bad advice. I didn't mean to. I even told them to learn more about bettas first so it wouldn't be bad advice.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
I would never recomend a sorority to someone who knew nothing about bettas, I told them to learn alot more first about bettas and even gave them some ideas of where to look for information. I hardly see that as bad advice.

A divided tank is a good idea, better then a sorority. Most fish and pet stores sell dividers meant for ten gallons.

Im sorry PewPewPew if you thought I gave bad advice. I didn't mean to. I even told them to learn more about bettas first so it wouldn't be bad advice.
I don't feel that you gave any bad advice. Sororities can be risky, though. They work best if you can get females from the same spawn that have grown up together. I've heard stories of sororities going fine for awhile then all heck breaks loose and they start killing each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

I didnt mean "bad" like oh! That's awful!... I apologize if that's how it came off.

I cant think of another way to phrase what I mean... Maybe ill-advised considering? I dont know.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #14 
CrowntailTwitchy57

NO NO NO NOT TWO MALES TOGETHER i know in rare cases they live together but IS IT WORTH THE RISK have a sorority instead!!!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #15 
person

I belive that the two males i had living together were spawn siblings anyway. they were mistakenly put in the same bowl at a petstore. Before that ive never seen two males get along. i at first thoght it was a freak of nature. it was very odd. i now have a divider in place for my current bettas and cuddles is in a bowl on the other side of the room :). i do really want to try a sorrority tho. i just got 2 more females. now at a total of 3. the 2 new ones are getting along but i couldnt fool the first female by rearanging the decorations. she still views it as her territory. i have her in a bowl for the night. ill try agen tomorrow. ive only had her for a few days now. and i still cant leave the petstore without another one ^_^
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #16 
MaggieLynn

a girl at my petsmart used to breed and she said that if you keep the spawn together since birth that the males can live together but that is only if they are brothers and grew up like that, currently i have had my sorority for 2 months now all petco girls, and from different petcos and everything is going smooth. I guess its just luck of the draw. but yes read read read you should research as much as you can before getting a new pet, I almost got a hamster but instead got more bettas, But i know so much already that i could go buy one now and know what to do. knowledge is power
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #17 
banana3685

Definitely not, unless it's a super rare circumstance. I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as others on this forum about bettas, but I do know this for certain... male bettas together is not something you should attempt -- especially with one so aggressive.
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #18 
SmokeNLark

For me to recommend a sorority, you need more than knowledge. You need experience. You can read all you want, bu it's different having it.

And no males together. Males fight with each other, end of story. Even if you put them together and they are fine, you will most likely come home one day to a dead fish and an injured fish. I have heard of some people keeping males together successfully, but it takes a BIG tank and a VERY experienced and VERY knowledgable fish keeper.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote