Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

Sister's Betta, Carl?

I was just wondering if he looked okay? I'm not really an expert but I know she doesn't pay that much attention to him, but I don't think she'd ever purposefully do something to harm him. Also could you tell me specifically what type of betta he is? I got him for her at WalMart. Thanks!
Attached Images

HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
Silverfang

well he's a VT (veil tail) the most common sort you'll encounter. It looks like he might be suffering from a bit of fin rot, most likely due to poor water maintenance, or he's a fin biter.
I might be completely off base, especially if he's always had a black edging on his tail. Without knowing more specifics, saying one way or the other if is lacking for anything.
I would highly suggest reading this thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078 for the both of you. Very informative.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Since the fins are ratty, I would say it could well be rot, unles that color's been there.

Why is his water so green/dark? If its changing colors, it needs to be changed asap.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 
HelloThere123Betta

No, my sisters room is just like Bright Green, I'll suggest you r link to my sis
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

I don't think he has rot .. yet. I think his fins edges are black normally. But, they are pretty frayed looking and it won't be long till rot does set in. What is his environment like? Tank? Bowl? Water change schedule? Do you know of the nitrogen cycle? Is his home filtered? Do you test the water with an API master test kit or the like? Is it heated?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #6 
HelloThere123Betta

She has a one gallon tank with no heater or filter but I know she switches the water quite often
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Thats good that she does. She certainly should. In a one gallon, 100% every 4 days is the minimum, IMO.

Ahh, good to hear. I wasnt sure if it was the water or the room ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

4, really? I'd think 3 at the max, with 2 being the norm. Now I want to test ammonia levels in 1 gal of water ... haha. But then I'm water changing 1 gals every day so ... I'm a bit biased.

If the bowl is unheated the temp should stay stable around 76-80, 76 is on the pretty cold side. Ideally he'd be in 78F water. If he is not in stable water temp, or at a good range, he'll be more likely to succomb to illness.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Do you know if she uses any water conditioner?

pretty fishie. I have one that is similar and he had some minor fin rot on this tail fin, thanks to petco care.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, care, health, sisters