Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #11 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Oh no! Well, at least he's active! It is best never to use Melafix with bettas. It can cause harm even when used for short periods of time. Betta fix is just diluted Melafix and is also not safe to use with bettas despite being marketed for them. Aquarium Salt works better and is safe. To help him heal, make sure his water is extra clean. Try to do 100% water changes every other day at least. You can also use either Kordon's Fish Protector or API Stress Coat to aid tissue repair. You can also feed him high protein foods like live mosquito larva or frozen glassworms/bloodworms to help him repair.

There are a few things you can do to allieviate his boredom.
1) Get him a larger tank (2.5+gal) to give him room to explore
2) Decor/caves
3) LOTS of live plants
4) Get a floating mirror for him to flare at
5) Put him next to another betta
6) Keep him full-give him a well rounded diet with frozen/live foods. Feed him smaller portions twice per day
7) Move his decor/plants around occasionally
I'll return the Melafix then. I'm pretty sure I saw some sort of stress coat at the store, so I'll get that. I'll start on the frequent water changes too; I've been doing 20% changes since I noticed that his fins were raggedy.
I'll try to get another tank with my next paycheck. A 2 gallon is the largest I have room for in my bedroom right now (I have cats, so any other spot in the house is dangerous). I don't have another betta, but I'll definitely start using a mirror more.
Until I get a bigger tank, would I be able to put a live plant in his 1 gallon? Or is there not enough room?
freeflow246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #12 
freeflow246

Ugh. One of the little scraps on his fin is rust-colored. Is it safe to assume that he now has fin rot? I'm hopping down to the store to grab some stress coat and aquarium salt just in case. Hopefully he won't maul himself while I'm gone.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #13 
freeflow246

I changed his water and added aquarium salt and stress coat. After I put him back into his tank, he wouldn't move his right pectoral fin. For a moment I was afraid that I had somehow torn it off, but it's still there. I'm guessing that he hurt it somehow, but I have no idea.
On the plus side, I bought him a small plant for his tank, in addition to his cave. He seems to enjoy it.
I'll post any new developments.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

I understand the cat problem. I have to be careful too... You can safely put plants in the 1 gal as long as they don't take up the entire tank and he has space to get to the surface for air. Can he still not use his pectoral fin? Is the "rust" on his fin still there? Has it spread at all? If you can, a pic would be great...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #15 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I understand the cat problem. I have to be careful too... You can safely put plants in the 1 gal as long as they don't take up the entire tank and he has space to get to the surface for air. Can he still not use his pectoral fin? Is the "rust" on his fin still there? Has it spread at all? If you can, a pic would be great...
The little plant I put in his tank is quite small, and he still has quite a bit of room. The rust hasn't spread any, but I'll let you know if it does. I would post pics, but I don't have a camera. :(
And he just started using his pectoral again.... this fish is gonna be the death of me. :P
Actually, his 'rust' sorta looks like the pics of fin ulcerations I found online. Could it just be raw from him biting it? Sorry, I tried to post the pic I found, but I couldn't get it to work.