Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

Not to sound rude or anything, but do you guys have taxi? I have spent over $20 in taxi just to get meds for my guys a few times. I don't have a vehicle so every time I go to any store for the kiddos, I spent a lot of money to do so. Hope you can get some salt for him before you leave. Pets should be #1 priority, after all they can't get the salt themselves and they rely on you :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #12 
Pucky21811

I know, Pitluvs I wish I could as soon as I can. I sent my mom out to get some but she forgot; I will get them tomorrow. I live in a very small upstate New York town with no taxis, and the closest store that would have something for him is 45 minutes away, and that's no exaggeration. My car comes back tomorrow, and that is the first thing I will be doing with it once I pick it up.

Thank you Sakura: I have found a higher source of protein for him, and I will also be buying frozen food of some sort.

And once I get my paycheck I will be buying a tank with a heater for him, because I will not deny I was a naive college student who blindly believed what Wal-Mart claimed was safe for him. Since I've realized he's fallen sick, I have done so much research, and this website has been a huge help! I know where I went wrong, and I am willing to do anything to fix it.

You guys have been so nice and wonderful; you tell me what I need to do without making me beat myself up about it too much for being so unaware. I couldn't thank you enough, and I'm sure Puck feels the same way!
-Maureen
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Everyone on this forum was once a newbie to fish and bettas too so we all understand what it's like. We're just glad you want to give Puck the best you can give and I'm sure he appreciates how much you care for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #14 
Pucky21811

Epsom salt retrieval has been successful!

With the daily water changes for less than a week, I have really seen a change in Puck without much else. His color has been more vibrant than I have seen in four months, when I first bought him. He is so much more active and is darting around happily. With the bigger tank and the daily water changes (I was doing only a 50-100% water changes once a week with a much smaller bowl than what he is in now) I can already see a difference in not only his personality and color, but his fins: The ends of his fins are not dark and curled inwards anymore; they are pointing outward, a good direction, and if I look really closely I can see an extension on them, clear in color. I'm sure that is more than a good sign. Even better, however, is that painful-looking hole has shrunk down to almost pinhole size. He's been swimming around since I walked into the room for a while now so I haven't been able to get a good picture, but I think for the next few weeks I am going to take pictures of him and his progress and post them here, just so I can see how well it goes, and maybe show other people too how easy water changes (and starting tonight, Epsom salts) can really help fin rot. :)
Thank you so much everyone!
Maureen + Puck
Attached Images

Last edited by Pucky21811; 08-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #15 
Pucky21811

Oh shoot! EPSOM SALTS!! ::face palms:: I just realized thats for CONSTIPATION!!! Oh gosh all of that for nothing! I needed Aquarium salts! Shoot and I'm leaving Saturday morning... Ugh... STUPID!!! :( He's looking wonderful and getting better without other treatments, do you guys think he can make the week that I'm gone? So long as the person who is caring for him keeps up with the 100% daily changes? I think he can hold on... :/ still.. duh!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Yes, as long as the water changes are kept up, I think he should make it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote